Dead Matter
ATTENTION: Due to issues with the new forum update the custom theme has been disabled. The theme will return when all issues have been resolved.
Yad

Development Diary #6

Development Diary #6

Hello again and welcome to another development diary, this diary entry is a little late as a lot of the team are very busy as the holidays draw near, but we hope you enjoy what we have in store for you!

Environment - Shirk

I’ve got some work done on a few various things this month, with our focus now on replacing assets and bringing them into the world map. One of my tasks was to make a set of utility poles that would carry electricity for the power grid. The poles utilize sockets so we can auto-populate cables between poles, the ground, and even houses. Right now we only have a steel set to show but expect more in the near future.

eBqOtEU.jpgicKTl3a.jpg

For the rest of the month (and most likely until I finish) I will be working on a super secret environment, in the meantime I've got these side products for you. The scene is nothing more than a WIP shot of the assets. After the holidays this month I’m hoping to put my nose to the grindstone and produce a lot more content to show off in upcoming development diaries.

wQ0VUWi.jpgpxh8F4z.jpg

ydYKOtR.jpg

Sw3hWec.jpg

Trailer - Nomad

For December I finished some minor things left on the trailers shown last week such as making sure the collisions are all correct and that materials are configured properly. Currently I have been working on the towable trailer home and how I wanted to tackle it this time. I say this time because I had actually made one based off of the 1973 Airstream Sovereign as a demo reel piece. I looked online as to different floor plans and was not happy with what I found. As I thought about it more I realized the best way to tackle it was to have it in sections allowing for different configurations to spawn in the world

LSYRC2B.png

To help illustrate my point, I found this image with two different configurations

o6dAHwn.jpg

What this means is in the world you will have the chance to run into one with perhaps one bed but plenty of storage space for food, water, medical items, etc while another might lack more storage but have another bed allowing you to bring a friend with you.

Going forward I'll be moving onto the art pass and making sure everything fits together in different combinations.

See you all in the new year!

Environment - Yadda

I’ve added quite a few new environment assets to the game starting with a wide variety of sculpted rocks of all shapes and sizes. In total there are about 8 unique models with a variety of textures.

oBk6XeS.jpg

Additionally I produced a much needed river and stream set, gameplay wise this will be a means of obtaining fresh water without having to travel to a lake. These have animated flowmaps and moving water which you can see in the following animated gif.

https://i.imgur.com/1zL2k7q.gifv

As the winter approaches, ice freezes over and all bodies of water become solid, which means the water can only be obtained by carving away at the ice.

1XPs1rD.jpg

In addition to the stream and river objects which follow a spline, I produced some gravel road paths.

TxkCM3r.jpg

Double Barrel Shotgun - Dusty

Dusty has been working on expanding the attachments, as well as a double barrel shotgun. Here's a quick teaser.

66lX3F5.jpg

ExVgP7G.jpg

rph7yhp.jpg

Just like the rest of the weapons, the double barrel shotgun was developed with customization, variation, and future-proofing in-mind: new stocks, barrels, and attachments can be developed and seamlessly integrated at any time.

Conclusion

As the end of 2017 draws near we’d like to wish everyone reading a fantastic holiday! While we continue to work through the next few weeks, we’ll remain prudent in posting development updates in the new year; it’s going to be a big year for us and we hope you’ll enjoy what’s to come. Thanks for reading and see you in the new year!

Edited by Yad

The sweet delight of these updates and the anticipation of the eventual release is only dulled by the small chance of the delay you talked of previously ,

Love the work and dedication that has been shown for the dream you for this game

It is amazing to see your work here and the consistency of these developer updates, congrats on all the work you guys have put into the models and other game functions. I hope you have a happy new year!

Excellent work guys! The level of detail is just insane, can't wait to chip away at a frozen river or explore this "top secret" place with my mad max style shotty in hand! Thanks for keeping us updated with the progress and sharing some of your work, you're doing a great job.