Dead Matter
ATTENTION: Due to issues with the new forum update the custom theme has been disabled. The theme will return when all issues have been resolved.
jooni

Development Diary #7

Development Diary #7

Hey Survivors,

we’ve got our Seventh Update that covers most of what we’ve been up to! There’s a wide variety and a lot of content that’s been pushed into the game so each team member will describe what they did to help break apart this massive developer update.

Underground Bunkers - Shirk
Since the start of this year I've been working on a secret underground location. The set of structures I am making are modular, and can be used all across the map in various ways. They can be used for a variety of purposes like storage, securing, exploring, and even as a way to get to another location in secrecy. I've always loved when games have large underground areas such as bunkers, subways, and sewers. I find it really adds depth to the world and is extremely rewarding when you are exploring and stumble upon something so large, yet so hidden. There isn't much to say about the bunkers right now without spoiling anything, but I think everyone will really enjoy them and their uses.

Currently I've blocked out the majority of the tunnels, rooms and hallways to make sure everything snaps together and works well. Next step is to finalize their modularity and then get working on producing the art for them.

hS6saSk.jpg
vN5U53t.jpg
wwBj2aN.jpg
zYmJegy.jpg
oxUdIc3.jpg
RpYv7Ab.jpg
eG2UylD.jpg
ggnjo7O.jpg

Water Equipment - Nomad
During the month of December I worked on some large transmission towers which will serve as potential landmarks to be used while traversing the map.

R3AWbrf.jpg

During January I worked on some gameplay models for getting water out from the ground.

c0Df9jQ.png

The windmill will be one of the ways to get groundwater which will travel to a nearby in ground reservoir. Depending on how fast the rotor is spinning will determine how efficient it is being at drawing water out.

yE90y8D.png

The way you will get the water out will be to pump it out into any container which can hold water. You will need to purify it before drinking.

va0Oaxc.png

i4OdUtO.png

World Streaming Improvements - jooni

I’ve significantly changed how houses are loaded into the game, houses are now stored as level instances that can easily be edited and are streamed into the game by actors we place down. This means LOD generation for HLOD will skip out bits of furniture and small items that aren’t visible. (Yet we can still easily retain extremely important objects such as curtains or barricades). This is a minor change yet requires us to replace a lot of the houses that currently exist on our worldmap.

I plan on addressing the issue of serverside level streaming during the next development update to reduce serverside memory usage. It should also be a major benefit to people that intend on playing Dead Matter in a co-op setting as the host will have much more resources available to their local PC.

Inventory Improvements – jooni

After recovering from some surgery I moved towards improving the Inventory and got it into a much more polished state than before.

iUvi94S.jpg

I implemented an icon renderer that automatically renders inventory items for us. (manually creating icons is no longer required!) Some meshes weren’t imported correctly which is why they’re rotated by about 90 degrees, this can be manually fixed by applying a few settings in the items themselves.

(before)
byToS6s.png

(after)
ukkFaSr.png

I’ve also added some improvements for telling items apart while they’re in a container as well as a drop down menu for when you need to drop, place or use an item.

ZJnCN5A.png

Crafting will involve dropping items ontop of each other or using a crafting bench which I’ll be posting on the next development update, if I didn’t have eye surgery I would’ve gotten that taken care of by now. c’est la vie

Weapons – Dusty
Dusty has created a large set of weapons for Dead Matter, we’ll let the pictures do the talking.

39VP5P6.jpg
oSeCKPs.jpg
ZTMtiWI.jpg
fk8YqhQ.jpg
U5AGl7j.jpg
zejHIIV.jpg
dGl31rT.jpg
bedEChq.jpg
2nAKgyt.jpg
WJ9hWAl.jpg
ZPLnSB0.jpg
W5L6sjv.jpg
HJ6pd1a.jpg
gzQPOG7.jpg
JYzlZmO.jpg
DkiRmJS.jpg
W8bI1GQ.jpg
rjE88aE.jpg
TfZeR0O.jpg
819d9OZ.jpg
hluzAlr.jpg
BR0dBE5.jpg

Trains – Chaoss
Chaoss has been working on train tracks as we’ve been needing to desperately replace some placeholder assets. These will be laid around the world (they’ll be a lot more common than train lines are in real life) to ensure that trains are a fun, late game way of traversing the world.

U6sRBsC.jpg
Zzdxo5v.jpg

m2pDkCN.jpg
6SSu2QN.jpg

PxVUuob.jpg
42MUab0.jpg
bYbmvhG.jpg
Lfu2YbT.jpg
7MptLST.jpg

Uqr8n9d.jpg
4UHcs6N.jpg
cLDVWHT.jpg

Chaoss also created a tunnel and a new variation of commercial building earlier in December.

Tez9TDD.jpg
rKJrxYy.jpg
hNi0oTW.jpg
mSfEBR6.jpg

Utility Poles – Yadda
I have been working mostly behind the scenes this month to organize the team's work assignments for the next few months. I had to put time aside to digest our pending workload, as busy as things are I did have time to work on our wooden utility pole set. Although not quite finished, I'm happy with how it's come along thus far.

f2vyh7U.jpg
2riEn9M.png

Edited by Yad

3 minutes ago, Deadsnow10 said:

This game has assets that remind me of zombie panic source, I'm loving the direction that game is going! Can't wait to get some solid 360 no scopes

I loved ZPS.

This is some good shit, boys. I have a couple of questions about the trains.

Will players be able to erect barricades on train tracks to impede trains? Will the train's momentum affect how well it's able to plow through obstacles?

15 minutes ago, Deadsnow10 said:

This game has assets that remind me of zombie panic source, I'm loving the direction that game is going! Can't wait to get some solid 360 no scopes

Zombie Panic was my shit back in the day.

From what I can confirm, An AK-74 (With an AKs74u with some Darko-based folding stock), an AKM, some Glock variant and a Serbu Super Shorty configuration on one of the shotguns so I'm assuming it's either a Mossberg 500 or Remington 870.

Either way, all are very nice guns and I'd be very keen to see players in the in-game world clutching these vicious tools.

This is really great work and such attention to detail.

I realise that the railway track screenshots are to demonstrate the use of the assets, but I'd like to point out (in case the devs aren't aware) that when creating switches/turnout/points for the actual map, the following example is way too tight for a train bogie to traverse, especially considering Dead Matter has a functional railway system.

42MUab0.jpg

As a rail enthusiast, it's sad that most games do them wrong. Making it three times that length should be perfect.

36 minutes ago, *=SAS=* MEDIC said:

Good job guys   alot of Russian weaponry for being Canada but  still looking good

Variants aren't unique. We've still got tons of NATO arms.

28 minutes ago, Borgscan said:

This is really great work and such attention to detail.

I realise that the railway track screenshots are to demonstrate the use of the assets, but I'd like to point out (in case the devs aren't aware) that when creating switches/turnout/points for the actual map, the following example is way too tight for a train bogie to traverse, especially considering Dead Matter has a functional railway system.

42MUab0.jpg

As a rail enthusiast, it's sad that most games do them wrong. Making it three times that length should be perfect.

I believe chaoss was going off a direct reference, regardless I can see it potentially causing issues so we'all be reviewing all of the tracks.

As always I love seeing these development updates! I always love seeing what has been added or retextured. Keep up the good work and keep the updates coming! 

Also did anyone else know that in the inventory portion the helmet looked like the level 3 helmet in PUBG?

Damn, these updates are looking great! Very excited about the inventory system and the modding possibilities that you guys are going to support (full map editor - terrain/Terra forming?). Not sure about crafting by stacking items in your inventory, though. May have to see this one in action. Keep up the great work guys! 

These Dev Diary's are great.  Love the underground stuff as long as it's done realistically and not just randomly all over the map.  I can't see there being a network of tunnels spanning 5 farms.  Tunnel density in industrial or downtown areas are good.  Keep up the awesomeness!