Welcome to The Dead Matter Community!

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

NOTICE

Read this first BEFORE  you register!

jooni

Development Diary #7

83 posts in this topic

Interesting and engaging game mechanics is going to be king. But they must not be obviously grindy.

Look at DayZ, 7 Days to Die and ARK. DayZ and 7 Days to Die has items of varied quality, its a bit of a minigame in itself to find or make items of perfect quality. In ARK, you have dinosaurs of higher level and its a bit of a minigame in itself to acquire dinosaurs of higher level. These mechanics are good for longevity of the game, please do consider them in Dead Matter.

Wow those bunker shots looking good even with missing textures ;). Please don't over saturate the world with a giant underworld of tunnels and bunkers. Yes they are good for hiding and storytelling but its not really believable for them to be everywhere (unless your in Paris with the catacombs). also every underground bunker I've every found a way into has no functioning electrics or mechanical systems. Everything is broken and falling apart even without a zombie apocalypse, Kids break in a trash stuff. My need to pump out water as well.

Tracks look good. I grew up around a lot of abandoned trains and tracks and love that environment. There needs to be a lot of knackered tenders, rotten carriages and other utility vehicles.  As well as random ballast/pallets dumped on the track or next the track. The electronic points would be frozen. Trains would hard fought to get running but ultimately awesome to get running.

5 minutes ago, McLovin1999 said:

But where is the actual gameplay? I like seeing assets, but i really want to see the game actually working.

Hard to show a lot of gameplay without the assets that will go in the video. Give it time, you'll see. 

Tunnels and Trains are my jam, So I am pleased to see both here.

While I have warned about this before, I will restate these points again.

I accept Trains must NEVER derail (Its simply impractical to fix them back on the tracks should it happen).

I hope you are considering how you can prevent players from greithing railways by blocking them with there train/s.

And while pointed out I will say again the important need to make sure siding/turns are in fact realistic to prevent severe carriage clipping.

But yes, I look forward to proper train representation, something rare in a none train focused game, how realistic you will make your system I will have to see.

Just more images. You push the alpha to Q4 and don’t even show a video of your progress. You’re joking right? I would completely understand these images with a Q1 or even a Q2 alpha for hype and build-up. But no one in your team thought, well they are suppose to be in Alpha soon, maybe we should get a video of gameplay, improvements, and what we are doing in the future months. Lots of empty space here guys.....

15 minutes ago, ColdHard Sniper said:

Just more images. You push the alpha to Q4 and don’t even show a video of your progress. You’re joking right? I would completely understand these images with a Q1 or even a Q2 alpha for hype and build-up. But no one in your team thought, well they are suppose to be in Alpha soon, maybe we should get a video of gameplay, improvements, and what we are doing in the future months. Lots of empty space here guys.....

We'll be doing gameplay videos/streams in the near future. We want to show it off as much as you want to watch it.

8 hours ago, jooni said:

We'll be doing gameplay videos/streams in the near future. We want to show it off as much as you want to watch it.

Can you tell us if the video/streams will be in Q1 or at least in Q2?

On 1/20/2018 at 8:31 PM, Mausmaen said:

This is some good shit, boys. I have a couple of questions about the trains.

Will players be able to erect barricades on train tracks to impede trains? Will the train's momentum affect how well it's able to plow through obstacles?

I really hope not. I hope its  an unmanned train/s we can ride around the map (kind of like the train in GTA5(cant be stopped))  for transport and not driven/owned by players, if so it will only be horded and never used. 

39 minutes ago, Devildog052111 said:

I really hope not. I hope its  an unmanned train/s we can ride around the map (kind of like the train in GTA5(cant be stopped))  for transport and not driven/owned by players, if so it will only be horded and never used. 

As far as I know, the trains will be able to be used as limited, but mobile bases. Players will be able to control, fortify, and drive them as needed. Provided that have the proper resources and tools, of course. 

11 minutes ago, Regicidalnut said:

As far as I know, the trains will be able to be used as limited, but mobile bases. Players will be able to control, fortify, and drive them as needed. Provided that have the proper resources and tools, of course. 

Oh no. I dislike when there is limited *Item/Vehicle/material* in game because they always get horded and miss used by other players. Not fun game play(for me anyways). This is the first thing about this game I don't like.  Now if there is a train for everyone then yea lets do it! Then it will be fair.  I am all about fairness in these types of games but if there is only 1 train and they get to horde it because they play 10hrs a day then I see that as unfair. Thanks for he heads up though and I hope your wrong! :P

2 minutes ago, Devildog052111 said:

Oh no. I dislike when there is limited *Item/Vehicle/material* in game because they always get horded and miss used by other players. Not fun game play(for me anyways). This is the first thing about this game I don't like.  Now if there is a train for everyone then yea lets do it! Then it will be fair.  I am all about fairness in these types of games but if there is only 1 train and they get to horde it because they play 10hrs a day then I see that as unfair. Thanks for he heads up though and I hope your wrong! :P

I think it's an excellent way for endgame players to get around.  Though it had been confirmed that there will be more than one train, and plenty of tracks for those trains to get around on. It's a massive map, and it's likely all the tracks won't be interconnected. 

That said, if you're worried about unruly/toxic players in the game I suggest finding a whitelist server where moderators and admins enforce server rules and have whitelisted groups. 

2 hours ago, Devildog052111 said:

Limit food, eat other players, all tastes like chicken in the end. 

6 hours ago, Devildog052111 said:

Now a train for everyone is a bit insane, and due to the map being so huge, we can assume player counts on servers will be large, so I don't think it's realistic to have a 'train for everyone', but some precaution by admins to prevent hoarding would be cool.

side note: Are you referring to Miscreated? That game is so fucking bad with clans hoarding vehicles.