Welcome to The Dead Matter Community!

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

NOTICE

Read this first BEFORE  you register!

NWT King

Shotguns in real life

15 posts in this topic

Shotguns can kill past three feet and I see a lot games just have so that's all there good at killing anything between you and three feet. But in real buck shot can easily kill at 75 to 150 feet. Thoughts?

Maximum Effective Range.png

12 hours ago, NWT King said:

Shotguns can kill past three feet and I see a lot games just have so that's all there good at killing anything between you and three feet. But in real buck shot can easily kill at 75 to 150 feet. Thoughts?

Maximum Effective Range.png

I think this answers everyone's questions!! its a lot further than three feet ;)

Great video, never heard of a cutshot but damn that things nasty, even at 200-300 yards he's getting kill shots with the slugs. 

I think the biggest reason why they do it in games is just for gun balance. The worst thing a developer wants is everyone to run around with the same gun, which is why really good weapons are usually harder to obtain or much higher in rarity. 

Edited by Trunkz Jr

2 hours ago, Trunkz Jr said:

Great video, never heard of a cutshot but damn that things nasty, even at 200-300 yards he's getting kill shots with the slugs. 

I think the biggest reason why they do it in games is just for gun balance. The worst thing a developer wants is everyone to run around with the same gun, which is why really good weapons are usually harder to obtain or much higher in rarity. 

EFT does a good job with shotguns. They properly wreck anything inside 100yds or so, longer if you have a slug and the sights to shoot that far, but the game has far longer ranges than that which make it only effective in close(ish) encounters. If you want to tag anything further out you need a rifle to do so with any effectiveness. With as big a map as Dead Matter has planned, I can see the devs letting shotguns be as effective as they truly are.

Another issue with shotguns and balance in video games is the engaging distance. Because of the display resolution on monitors not being fantastic in a real use scenario, a player at 150m might only be a few pixels wide and tall, so what you might engage in real life with normal non optic sights can be seen with no issue at 150m in a game it might play different and so weapons need to reflect that. 

Yea they usually make shotguns only effective in the 10 meter range or basics of point blank, rather than the football field when loaded out with slugs, be game optional ranges of viewable resolutions of playable distances, you might pick up bird shot, but I would save those for birds for hunting, but would use them if needed, or turn them into a slug type by cutting the round. So out of 20 bird shot, converting 10 into usable slug round for emergency type situations, in basics making a path to get out of dodge!  Even with bird shot is still good up too 50 yards but again not truly effective against the walking dead your % of critical would be very low, a cut round and that % is increased for landing a critical blow. 

in most war type games why would you be using bird shot rather than slugs lol design and intention is everything. In a survival game picking up bird shot might be more common for hunting, followed by no# buckshot for deer, depends on the hunter and what they had or left behind.

On 3/4/2018 at 6:52 AM, OldReservist said:

Yea they usually make shotguns only effective in the 10 meter range or basics of point blank, rather than the football field when loaded out with slugs, be game optional ranges of viewable resolutions of playable distances, you might pick up bird shot, but I would save those for birds for hunting, but would use them if needed, or turn them into a slug type by cutting the round. So out of 20 bird shot, converting 10 into usable slug round for emergency type situations, in basics making a path to get out of dodge!  Even with bird shot is still good up too 50 yards but again not truly effective against the walking dead your % of critical would be very low, a cut round and that % is increased for landing a critical blow. 

in most war type games why would you be using bird shot rather than slugs lol design and intention is everything. In a survival game picking up bird shot might be more common for hunting, followed by no# buckshot for deer, depends on the hunter and what they had or left behind.

This part makes me think that a nice touch for hunting would be that hunting geese or something with buckshot would probably destroy much of the animal and should yield lesser and/or lower quality (if quality is a feature) meat as a result.

The only shooter game that I've played that has truly captured the capabilities of a shotgun is Rising Storm 2. I'm obviously not taking into consideration hunting games, but you don't typically have someone shooting at you in those games.

I'm a shotgun guy IRL, have had a decent amount of training, and my biggest video gaming shotgun gripe is that pump shotguns are usually depicted as being unreasonably slow to fire, some games even saddle you with a derpy "Hollywood" pump animation that's as distracting as it is slow. 

Don't do it like that please.

Do the pump shotguns still have the pumping animation shown in some of the preview footage? 

If so, I'd like to see the lateral motion when pumping eliminated, and a bit more speed.

Anyone who has the remotest idea of how to use a pump shotgun is not going to pull it to the side or let it flop around as they pump it.

Even Tarkov gets this wrong.

1 hour ago, John Nada said:

Do the pump shotguns still have the pumping animation shown in some of the preview footage? 

If so, I'd like to see the lateral motion when pumping eliminated, and a bit more speed.

Anyone who has the remotest idea of how to use a pump shotgun is not going to pull it to the side or let it flop around as they pump it.

Even Tarkov gets this wrong.

They do not, the animations have been improved significantly, very recently. When ADS'ing the character won't pull the gun down when pumping.

Range is fine, most riot type shotguns will typically only get a couple of buckshot pellets into a human sized target at the further distances IRL.

Overall the firing mechanics look much better, although there is still too much lateral motion during recoil/cycling IMO, and rate of fire could be easily be at least 1/3rd faster. Reload speed looks good.

Of course a lot depends on the shooter, if you're simulating someone with training and experience, then they'd probably be able to run a pump shotgun lot better, if it's Zoey from the hair salon who never touched a gun before the zombie apocalypse, then not so much.

Anyway, I think it's great that you guys present this kind of feedback.