Welcome to The Dead Matter Community!

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

NOTICE

Read this first BEFORE  you register!

jooni

Development Diary #8

37 posts in this topic

Development Diary #8

Hey Survivors,

This is our new development update, we've also got some new additions to our team. @dogtoothcg and @scanner have joined us as a character artist and animator. (In that order!). We'll be putting out some video content in the near future, we apologize for the delay on this update as it's been an extremely busy February for us.

Shirk

Since our last dev blog where I showed off blockouts of the bunker, I've been working on fleshing it out and giving it a bit of life. Some bunkers will be more pristine than others, and perhaps even recently used, where as others will be more decrepit and run down.  This current iteration of the bunker will be expanded upon in the future, but for now the basics are pretty much done. These pictures are of an older bunker that hasn't seen much use. Its dark, its wet, and it has the potential to scare you.

1lYVKAm.jpg
cZGzddv.jpg
mKTrS1I.jpg
yF4SnaG.jpg
r5QoWCv.jpg

This past weekend I wanted to take a break from the bunker and decided to work on something different. We needed some models for substations that will be around the map for our metagame. To keep it short here it is so far.

7E8pGwq.jpg
buRvGYS.jpg
7xNchOg.jpg
HH22hXT.jpg
8cJRkHY.jpg

Jooni

I've been working on a few behind the scenes procedural tools, they're really nothing to write home about yet. I've also been working on getting the inventory wrapped up, it's pretty much where I want it to be. One of the benefits of the Inventory system I've been working on is that I can easily attach containers to anything in the world. The data for items is extremely lightweight so expect containers to be plentiful.

fmVrh3B.jpg

(please note that the names and sizes of inventory grids are placeholders)

Containers have the ability to be interacted with by multiple players, this is extremely important to prevent duplication of items. It's all server driven and works out pretty well.

I've also tweaked the HUD and gotten rid of the hotbar if it isn't in use, I've also added a faint dot that becomes opaque when you look at an item.

QBwnPfy.jpg

iWK4NWu.jpg

I've also been working on some stuff reserved for our first development vlog.

Nomad

Last dev blog I did not get a chance to show off the windmill and water pump animated so here's a small video showing just that. Keep in mind that the animations for the pump are placeholder.

Depending on the wind, the blades will either be spinning slowly or much faster. This will also have the effect of how much water gets pumped out from the ground.

My contributions to the factory set are in pedestrian railing pieces and a mezzanine structure.

27FEQ44.png

Shown off in the video for the railings is the ability to us to change the color, allowing for the assets to be re used in different areas while matching a color theme.

Dusty

g1ThJeD.jpg

9LG8OuP.jpg

b4YyBGg.jpg

Resources

Social Media

Twitter - https://twitter.com/deadmattergame

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/quantumintegrity/

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYXv_gE6LCeLsUmNLrRcxaA

Discord - http://discord.gg/deadmattergame

QI
Pre-Orders - https://qisoftware.ca/

Edited by Yad

This was an amazing devblog! Can't wait to see the first Dev Vlog as Jooni mentioned. Great work everyone! (Seriously, those tunnels and that substation are going to be interesting to explore and try and survive in. You can almost see the horde shambling around any one of those corners) Also, holy crap all those attachments and the 1911!

Another thing that seems small, but having multiple players be able to access the containers at the same time is wonderful. No more waiting in line to use a crate because someone else is trying to find their magazine before heading out.

Awesome work as always guy's, Really looking forward to the first DevVlog. Loving the disappearing when not in use HUD, really helps as to the immersion. Won't be too long now till we'll be fighting zombies in those tunnels.

Awesome work, I have also been watching (as much as I can before going to work) Shirks streams then watching them after, one suggestion

any chance he could do some commentary of what he is working on not in the sense of giving away anything just what he his working and how he plans to go about getting it to where he is happy with it 

Edited by SnowMan

2 minutes ago, SnowMan said:

Awesome work, I have also been watching (as much as I can before going to work) Shirks streams then watching then after, one suggestion

any chance he could do some commentary of what he is working on not in the sense of giving away anything just what he his working and how he plans to go about getting it to where he is happy with it 

Im not against doing any sort of commentary, its just that sometimes I work for 5+ hours and theres no way I could talk for that long. I suppose I could say something at the start of the stream.