Welcome to The Dead Matter Community!

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

NOTICE

Read this first BEFORE  you register!

Sign in to follow this  
jooni

Development Update #10

43 posts in this topic

Development Update #10

Hey folks!

Welcome to our 10th development blog! We've got some exciting news and awesome content prepared for you guys, so let's dive in.

First off, I'd like to announce that we're hosting our very first community design competition! The winner will receive a building named after them in the game, and a unique version of their design to use however they please. We'll be posting more details here, and on our pre-order website at www.qisoftware.ca in the upcoming days.

Nomad

OktZTTc.png

Here's the latest progress on the truck.

vvCd0EG.png

So one thing I really wanted for the vehicles in dead matter was color variety as demonstrated below.

sFDntlf.png

As well as some customization options.

ZzSIcPi.png

Dusty

Dusty has been working hard on a gorgeous MP5.

JHhqI7X.jpg

Am87uEA.jpg

9qjZJwT.jpg

GiPPXfu.jpg

ML5KTYR.jpg

ElL4nA5.jpg

hqwoQkv.jpg

TqpwXh8.jpg

Vitka

R7kF0LV.jpg

Due to university courses I've unfortunately been unable to spend as much time working on concepts as I've wanted to. However, this changes soon--with the closing of the term and my graduation looming near, and the addition of our amazing new 3d character artist, I'll be able to really throw myself into the project as I've been dying to do for the past several months now.

I've finally developed for myself a reasonable pipeline to handle rendered concepts, and I hope that this will help to streamline my work. Though unfinished, I've started the transition to this new method by revisiting the hazmat suit which I had originally drawn for the kickstarter. I plan to expand this into several variations, though many may not make it into the final product.

I'm excited at the prospect of finally being able to exclusively focus on the project and character art (more on *that* soon enough), and I look forward to sharing these designs with you!

Shirk

Over the past two weeks I got more work done on the Diner and decided that this specific variation is going to be a relatively common diner franchise in the map; Dicks Diner. Having it as a common franchise (Like McDonalds, Burger King, Tim Hortons, etc) lets me make specific props, styles and allows me to have a bit fun as I dont need to keep everything super generic and multipurposed.

0vdIBGR.png
SrBeNDZ.jpg
tjtR9w0.jpg
ltFtp1C.jpg
92HcGCn.png

The last few days I finished a blueprint and its art for a Radio tower (this is actually a mast, but thats not important). Having the tower generated with a blueprint has a ton of benefits such as quick iteration and generation. I can place a tower, tweak it and have it ready within a minute with this method, where as if I were to assemble it by hand it would take me upwards of 30 minutes for the whole thing (the cables are a huge pain to do manually). I can also quickly swamp out meshes and make several varients and alterations in seconds, which again is beneficial as it lets me basically drag and drop in the world. The player at the moment can climb the entirety of the tower as a ladder runs from the bottom to the top with the option for platforms. These towers can be as high as 600m and allows a player to have a huge over view of the world. 

p8OQmkc.jpg

zNlQoes.jpg

I had taken a little break this week to work on another environment that might potentially be in Dead Matter in one form or another. Its a marshy area on a foggy day. Would you guys like to see more micro-environments like this in Dead Matter? If you like what you see then throw some suggestions our way and whether or not you want to see something like this in Dead Matter.

brT0Xyd.png
whJBHHn.png2bHnZSK.png

That's it for now, I hope you guys enjoyed it!

For those of you itching for new footage, you'll be happy to hear that we're putting together a brand new catch-up teaser trailer! No ETA yet, but follow our Twitter and Facebook pages for status updates and to be the first to see it when it's out.

Thanks for reading!

Edited by Yad

Love the look of the marshy area on a foggy day, creates an awesome atmosphere! Definitely something I'd like to see in the game.

Your Dicks pics are impressive too ;)

Edited by Nova

Great update, though I’ll be honest, I already knew most from following the devs. And...More weather !

If there is one thing I’ll never dislike or get tired off is micro-weather options !

As for suggestions (I know I put a lot and some might be tricky, but they are just suggestions):

- Blizzard 

- Bliz, light rain, moderate rain, heavy rain, flooding rain (change speeds which the environment gets ponds mud and else + changes the visibility and mobility of the character - harder to walk in heavy rain)

- if possible, local clouds (clouds and storms at a specific location on the map so give nice scenery).

- hail (that could cause damage) 

- wind variations (changes speed and maneuverability of vehicules based on wind position - maybe could also help animals smell you, creat sound based on wind speed that mask zombies and animal sounds) 

etc... that’s enough in one time 😝

After, lightning, snow, rain, and fog are already confirmed, but I just like to have variety (parameters matter in survival)

AE34C4BF-4E96-442C-8085-05A372B55559.jpeg

1B1E119C-F5EA-49CA-9884-8A35562AC1EA.jpeg

Edited by vic501

This is amazing, and yes having different kinds of weather and the fact that the environment changes with them is what makes the game even better.

I agree with most of what @vic501 said, that's really good.

- I don't think we need tornadoes or like storms similar to those in Miscreated, (Snow and radiation.) of course they should be in there, but not as big storms just some normal weather (No radioation unless there is a reason for it,  but a storm with maybe thick fog would make it harder to see and greate this amazing atmosphere where players need to be more careful.

- Maybe instead of creating bad weather, create like really good weather and its atmosphere. (Add a rainbow or like something different that stands out.)

Most survival/zombie games only focus on how bad it is (Of course it's bad thats the game), but even in those times there is good stuff. (Weather related.) 

- The car looks amazing, so does the MP5, can't wait for a screenshot tying it all together. 

Keep up the good work!!xD

Edited by Kim

2 hours ago, Dead Matter junkie said:

Epic update guys! Built $2000 pc just for this game!!! By by console and tax return!!!!

I'm in a similar boat, been saving for a PC now I know I have to get one before this game comes out. 

Different types of weather would be fantastic. That is what many games somewhat of this style miss out on. A great environment. And seeing you add weather/effects to the world makes me just so much more excited about this game. I have not commented on any dev updates before. Mostly because I did not have an account. Well done as with all of your dev updates! I cant wait to see more. You're all doing a fantastic job and I cannot wait to purchase this game and check it out.

3 hours ago, Kim said:

- I don't think we need tornadoes or like storms similar to those in Miscreated, (Snow and radiation.) of course they should be in there, but not as big storms just some normal weather (No radioation unless there is a reason for it,  but a storm with maybe thick fog would make it harder to see and greate this amazing atmosphere where players need to be more careful.

- Maybe instead of creating bad weather, create like really good weather and its atmosphere. (Add a rainbow or like something different that stands out.)

Most survival/zombie games only focus on how bad it is (Of course it's bad thats the game), but even in those times there is good stuff. (Weather related.) 

Adding to my last comment. I think this person says it all. 

Edited by Ethereal

@Ethereal @vic501 @Kim Tornado's and hurricanes and everything powerful like that is not going to be implemented in the game.

"Weather - The weather is more than just a backdrop in Dead Matter. At any time, the elements could turn against you, and the warm skies of Alberta could birth heavy storms, blinding blizzards, and scorching heatwaves, all of which pose unique threats to your character and the world around you."

That is from the kickstarter page, which I suggest you read up on if you have any more questions, the FaQ also has some good info on the game ----> 

And if you want tornado and such you can always mod them in yourselves since Dead Matter is supporting modding.

3 hours ago, Elk said:

Man I can't wait to eat at Dick's!

Dick's food menu has a variety of very healthy and nutritive dishes, I am sure you are going to love it. 

Development Update #10

Excellent work, looking forward to the community competition. 

@Wolf Winchester I know. And I’m so happy weather is becoming more important. But since they asked what micro-weather we might suggest, I decided to suggest. After, I really don’t want catastrophic weather. Tornadoes are out of place but different intensity to the basic weather such as wind, rain and snow is very welcome !

Blizzard and flood rains are only impacting rate of change in the environment and character traits (visibility and motility) so it shouldn’t be a problem. The rest is up for debate and that’s why I didn’t propose unrealistic things...(ps: I forgot about the blizzard though, but storms and stuff like that need variety)

Edited by vic501

10 hours ago, jooni said:

brT0Xyd.png
whJBHHn.png2bHnZSK.png

That's it for now, I hope you guys enjoyed it!

For those of you itching for new footage, you'll be happy to hear that we're putting together a brand new catch-up teaser trailer! No ETA yet, but follow our Twitter and Facebook pages for status updates and to be the first to see it when it's out.

Thanks for reading!

Hey!!

This looks fantastic! Please PLEASE PLEEEEEEAASSEEE include micro environments. Heavy fog (add in a fog horn), medium fog, light fog, high fog, low fog.

blue skys super sunny with frost everywhere in the shade, i want to be so fully immersed in this game that i think im truly in calgary!

But i also want unique weather patterns that add immersion to the game, this fog is great because it will shorten vision and add an ominous feel

@Cryptongolem

Yes ! I think gradients and intensity variations on all 6 major weather (rain, wind, sun, fog, snow and lightning) will be better than any catastrophic weather like tornadoes. 

Edited by vic501