Dead Matter
ATTENTION: Due to issues with the new forum update the custom theme has been disabled. The theme will return when all issues have been resolved.
Sign in to follow this  
jooni

Development Update #10

@jooni

@Shirk

I would greatly enjoy the addition of more microclimates in the game. As someone that lives in Alberta, I want to point out that there are so many microclimates that naturally occur here. Some of which are pleasant like having a chinook in January, and others that are not so fun like a tornado (a common occurrence in southern Alberta) and extreme rainfall/snow and flooding (rising river levels thanks to heavy rainfall and/or heavy snow melt). Think the Calgary flood that happened a little while ago. I think that adding in these extremes would make the game a more realistic representation of Alberta. With that being said Alberta has an extremely unstable climate resulting in very fast changing weather. It will be sunny and 30c one minute and not even half an hour later there will be hail falling. Another would be, forsay in January it will be -20c with clouds and half a day later it would be plus 10 out with completely clear skies. Ask the devs if you don't believe me (their office is in Calgary), Alberta would be a great environmental setting for the game given the unstable climate (that is if the devs can manage to recreate this instability). Don't even get me started about forest fires (search fort MacMurray forest fire if you want to know more)

I don't know if the devs are planning to make temperature a survival concern in this game, I feel it would be a necessity given the extreme temperature that Alberta experiences. In the summer it can get up to 45c and during the winter it can get as low as -50c at times with the wind chill. Even in a zombie apocalypse, those wouldn't change much. Take a look at "the long dark", that was also set in Alberta during the winter.

summer-rain-dave-carels.jpg

The flooding that is shown here was because of very fast rainfall resulting in localized floods that occurred in Edmonton Alberta in 2016.

8565919.jpg

This one is from the 2013 Calgary flood

597e972c43994.jpg

This is from the famous tornado that happened Edmonton Alberta in 1987. It was famous because it was one of the few ever recorded f5 tornados even today. 

I think this game could be a good way to give everyone out there a look into the life of people that live in Alberta and the struggles we have to live through. That is if the devs take the opportunity to represent this part of Alberta. They stated that they have included many struggles to survive in the zombie-filled world. They never mentioned that environmental was one of them and I think they should change that. 

15.jpg

Calgary is smack dab in the middle of the F2-F5 tornado-prone areas of Alberta

Edited by robsin11

Everything is beautiful guys keep up the good work. Also that marsh area does look amazing as well and should definitely be used.

Edited by Death

@vic501

just thought I should put that out there to represent for the "for" side of the for or against debate on extreme weather conditions. If they are going to use Alberta as the setting then they should represent Alberta with all its quirks.

Edited by robsin11

21 hours ago, robsin11 said:

@jooni

@Shirk

I would greatly enjoy the addition of more microclimates in the game. As someone that lives in Alberta, I want to point out that there are so many microclimates that naturally occur here. Some of which are pleasant like having a chinook in January, and others that are not so fun like a tornado (a common occurrence in southern Alberta) and extreme rainfall/snow and flooding (rising river levels thanks to heavy rainfall and/or heavy snow melt). Think the Calgary flood that happened a little while ago. I think that adding in these extremes would make the game a more realistic representation of Alberta. With that being said Alberta has an extremely unstable climate resulting in very fast changing weather. It will be sunny and 30c one minute and not even half an hour later there will be hail falling. Another would be, forsay in January it will be -20c with clouds and half a day later it would be plus 10 out with completely clear skies. Ask the devs if you don't believe me (their office is in Calgary), Alberta would be a great environmental setting for the game given the unstable climate (that is if the devs can manage to recreate this instability). Don't even get me started about forest fires (search fort MacMurray forest fire if you want to know more)

I don't know if the devs are planning to make temperature a survival concern in this game, I feel it would be a necessity given the extreme temperature that Alberta experiences. In the summer it can get up to 45c and during the winter it can get as low as -50c at times with the wind chill. Even in a zombie apocalypse, those wouldn't change much. Take a look at "the long dark", that was also set in Alberta during the winter.

summer-rain-dave-carels.jpg

The flooding that is shown here was because of very fast rainfall resulting in localized floods that occurred in Edmonton Alberta in 2016.

8565919.jpg

This one is from the 2013 Calgary flood

597e972c43994.jpg

This is from the famous tornado that happened Edmonton Alberta in 1987. It was famous because it was one of the few ever recorded f5 tornados even today. 

I think this game could be a good way to give everyone out there a look into the life of people that live in Alberta and the struggles we have to live through. That is if the devs take the opportunity to represent this part of Alberta. They stated that they have included many struggles to survive in the zombie-filled world. They never mentioned that environmental was one of them and I think they should change that. 

15.jpg

Calgary is smack dab in the middle of the F2-F5 tornado-prone areas of Alberta

I like that this guy provides tangible facts, i am so on board with environmental effects... you could even introduce a scale which determines how much the environment affects you per server

Yes more mirco-environments for sure! I love the fog, definitely great for creating a creepy environment but could also play into visibility for zombies as you walk around for example. Weather variety and how it interacts with the world is a must have IMO for creating an immersive game world. I look at Witcher 3 as an example. The amazing weather effects really help to make you feel like you're in the world. With the freak weather that Calgary gets it wouldn't be out of the question either. I want to see windstorms that blow the trees and debris around as another example. The more the weather effects the better. 

@jooni @Shirk

The long dark is a survival game set in post-apocalyptic Alberta during the winter. This game looks at life in a world without electricity because of solar flares frying the power grid and destroying anything that was running on electricity at the time of the event. Because of Alberta's harsh winters, the makers decided to use Alberta as the setting for the game. Now imagine that you are outside in the middle of an Alberta winter (where exposed skin is known to get frostbitten in as little as 5 min). The long dark doesn't have zombies.

Moving onto Dead Matter. Now imagine you are in an Alberta Winter and after you have been driving from Calgary to the mountains because you want to see what the landscape looks like during the winter or something like that. Then your car runs out of gas and you are in the middle of nowhere. You decide to get out and look for shelter to help you stay alive while you are out in the middle of nowhere. The world is filled with zombies and they have most likely heard the revving of your car's engine and will be on you in no time. So you get out and are now feeling the fast flowing wind chilled air of -25c (-35c with the wind chill) on your face and start walking down the road to the gas station you passed about 10 minutes back. 10 minutes of driving is close to about a half hour to an hour walk (longer if you were driving at highway speeds). Now as you are coming near the gas station you notice a few zombies on the street. You quickly run past them without a problem but then as the station comes into view you notice a hoard hanging around the station. You have just been walking through some of the coldest weather you have felt and you need shelter to stay alive from both the zombies and the weather. But you have a problem because the zombies are standing in your way.

Now if the weather was not a survival factor you could just turn around and head back to your car. But if it is you would have to make the hard choice and push for the gas station to get out of the cold so you could stay warm and then work on taking down the zombies outside from within the warmth of your shelter. Then there is also the factor that your hands would be numb from being out in the cold for such a long time meaning that you would have a much harder time fighting to fend off the zombies before you warmed up.

I believe that having to worry about how the weather affects a person both directly (frostbite, numb fingers) and indirectly (snow mounts blocking your path requiring ether going around or digging through) will force people to make decisions differently than if they only had to worry about other players and NPC's (zombies, people, animals). This would add a whole other level to the concept of surviving in a zombie apocalypse.

Edited by robsin11

On 3/20/2018 at 12:46 PM, robsin11 said:

@jooni @Shirk

The long dark is a survival game set in post-apocalyptic Alberta during the winter. This game looks at life in a world without electricity because of solar flares frying the power grid and destroying anything that was running on electricity at the time of the event. Because of Alberta's harsh winters, the makers decided to use Alberta as the setting for the game. Now imagine that you are outside in the middle of an Alberta winter (where exposed skin is known to get frostbitten in as little as 5 min). The long dark doesn't have zombies.

Moving onto Dead Matter. Now imagine you are in an Alberta Winter and after you have been driving from Calgary to the mountains because you want to see what the landscape looks like during the winter or something like that. Then your car runs out of gas and you are in the middle of nowhere. You decide to get out and look for shelter to help you stay alive while you are out in the middle of nowhere. The world is filled with zombies and they have most likely heard the revving of your car's engine and will be on you in no time. So you get out and are now feeling the fast flowing wind chilled air of -25c (-35c with the wind chill) on your face and start walking down the road to the gas station you passed about 10 minutes back. 10 minutes of driving is close to about a half hour to an hour walk (longer if you were driving at highway speeds). Now as you are coming near the gas station you notice a few zombies on the street. You quickly run past them without a problem but then as the station comes into view you notice a hoard hanging around the station. You have just been walking through some of the coldest weather you have felt and you need shelter to stay alive from both the zombies and the weather. But you have a problem because the zombies are standing in your way.

Now if the weather was not a survival factor you could just turn around and head back to your car. But if it is you would have to make the hard choice and push for the gas station to get out of the cold so you could stay warm and then work on taking down the zombies outside from within the warmth of your shelter. Then there is also the factor that your hands would be numb from being out in the cold for such a long time meaning that you would have a much harder time fighting to fend off the zombies before you warmed up.

I believe that having to worry about how the weather affects a person both directly (frostbite, numb fingers) and indirectly (snow mounts blocking your path requiring ether going around or digging through) will force people to make decisions differently than if they only had to worry about other players and NPC's (zombies, people, animals). This would add a whole other level to the concept of surviving in a zombie apocalypse.

The Long Dark takes place in the very far North BC, we're in Southern Alberta. That's a HUGE difference.

I really like the micro-environments idea, here in Florida, there will be thick ass fog for like a mile and then its clear. I would love to see something like that, because it adds a sort of even further realism.

I would love to have like a really dynamic weather system: Day, Night, Mist, Snow, Rain, Hail (This could make a thing where if a cars parked outside the hail could crack/damage the glass), Thunder, maybe exotic weather like hurricanes, tornado's, etc.  

Oh ya the more diverse areas the better!  Swampy area in a depressed area could have constant fog and make it an eerie place to have to pass through. Happy to hear the weather system is a go! Can't wait to see some good zombie interaction soon ;)

"Caugh" im scared right now. it looks so realistic. Dude Unreal 4 is awesome. You guys make it good

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!