Welcome to The Dead Matter Community!

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

NOTICE

Read this first BEFORE  you register!

Sign in to follow this  
jooni

Development Update #11

30 posts in this topic

Development Update #11

Howdy Survivors,

We're very busy working on Dead Matter in preperation for the vlogs and trailers that should pop up around May. We hope you enjoy this fairly meaty development update!

Shirk

Over the last few days Ive been tasked with producing some modular construction sets for some storage sets, mainly those self storage buildings you see scattered around. All the units (Standard and Narrow) can be entered, opened and closed. The standard size allows for a vehicle to be stored in it (although you cant drive it in and out since the doors cannot open, but thats a problem for another day). At Johnnys request, new fences also have broken sections so you dont have to sprint a marathon to get around.

lvLDvAT.jpg
4JtAcA7.jpg
jJX2Z2s.jpg
39Bpkyh.jpg
pzjzb14.jpg

With a little more modularity added to the mix, I was able to transform the storage units into a few different variants of warehouses which can be used to store vehicles, loot, or even barricade. This set will also be expanded into an Airport hangar at one point.

SaUl4df.jpg
FcNCM8F.jpg
Qakf44k.jpg
GT5rYJH.jpg
R9q8ofG.jpg

7ZzQvZf.jpg
aFnL2Su.jpg
6Rmi61r.jpg

Nomad

hdW27oX.jpg

wUtYCfr.png

MjPpK3Q.jpg

Jooni

I've been on a trip for the past 10 days, before I left I added Foot IK.

W4BAlzg.jpg

Dusty

GHvOfYu.jpg
n3WwB0I.jpg
0VCcIZz.jpg
16Mojv9.jpg
BFFgWN6.jpg

lkXhGHR.jpg
73ct3IL.jpg
jAIQKxT.jpg

Yadda

Aside from the usual behind the scenes work, I worked on new essential materials for the game, the following are a few examples:

gEcfBiZ.jpg

Some simple systems were implemented as well. Stairs can be generated simply by placing an actor and specifying the number of steps.

5WmE6Pz.jpg

Text decals can be generated quickly using a glyph-based material, a short demonstration is available here:

The next step for the text actor is to automate it with backer's submitted road names.
This way we can automatically fill out all street names without spending any time placing the actors by hand.

Something else I've worked on is a string trimmer, or "weedwhacker". This can be used as a weapon or scrapped for parts.

SB7BNiv.jpg

Social Media

Twitter - https://twitter.com/deadmattergame
Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/quantumintegrity/
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYXv_gE6LCeLsUmNLrRcxaA
Discord - http://discord.gg/deadmattergame

QI
Pre-Orders - https://qisoftware.ca/
Press Inquiry - https://playdeadmatter.com/contact/

Edited by Yad

Love the way the character model looks! The buildings are awesome too! details details... You guys are doing a great job!

Do you have someone dedicated to making zombie models so you don't get the "oh the leather jacket zombie again "? I don't know how intense it is on the engine having lots of different zombies but it would be nice to see a lot of variation. JMO 8)

Not sure I can wait until May for more updates though! !! Hah im really looking forward to some more trailers and vlogs! 

Edited by Tsuzuki

1 hour ago, Supervado said:

I like that fences will have holes in them but can they be mended if we want to fortify whatever it is they surround? Also could we climb fences instead?

That's a good question.

10 hours ago, jooni said:

Something else I've worked on is a string trimmer, or "weedwhacker". This can be used as a weapon or scrapped for parts.

SB7BNiv.jpg

Up until today I had no idea what a weed whacker was... Turns out they're just whipper snippers. 

Things are going to get... messy.

12 hours ago, jooni said:

Development Update #11

Howdy Survivors,

We're very busy working on Dead Matter in preperation for the vlogs and trailers that should pop up around May. We hope you enjoy this fairly meaty development update!

Shirk

Over the last few days Ive been tasked with producing some modular construction sets for some storage sets, mainly those self storage buildings you see scattered around. All the units (Standard and Narrow) can be entered, opened and closed. The standard size allows for a vehicle to be stored in it (although you cant drive it in and out since the doors cannot open, but thats a problem for another day). At Johnnys request, new fences also have broken sections so you dont have to sprint a marathon to get around.

lvLDvAT.jpg
4JtAcA7.jpg
jJX2Z2s.jpg
39Bpkyh.jpg
pzjzb14.jpg

With a little more modularity added to the mix, I was able to transform the storage units into a few different variants of warehouses which can be used to store vehicles, loot, or even barricade. This set will also be expanded into an Airport hangar at one point.

SaUl4df.jpg
FcNCM8F.jpg
Qakf44k.jpg
GT5rYJH.jpg
R9q8ofG.jpg

7ZzQvZf.jpg
aFnL2Su.jpg
6Rmi61r.jpg

Yadda

Aside from the usual behind the scenes work, I worked on new essential materials for the game, the following are a few examples:

gEcfBiZ.jpg

Yadda, the new materials look great! Keep up the great work!!!

SHIRK! What an awesome update, looks fantastic! I know you said the doors wont be openable, is there a way that we could destroy the door? I ask because i immediately thought about what would happen if i drove my truck through it. It wouldnt fully destroy the truck, nor the door but damage would be done and my truck would be inside.

I like the smaller boxes too, looks alot like a self storage businesses so good work.

Shirk/Jooni,

I like the idea of having holes in the chainlink fences... but may i recommend that buildings that are in good repair or away from the bulk of the initial chaos, should have full fences.. that maybe we can scale or climb to get over?

AWESOME UPDATE! Thank you!!

40 minutes ago, Cryptongolem said:

Yadda, the new materials look great! Keep up the great work!!!

SHIRK! What an awesome update, looks fantastic! I know you said the doors wont be openable, is there a way that we could destroy the door? I ask because i immediately thought about what would happen if i drove my truck through it. It wouldnt fully destroy the truck, nor the door but damage would be done and my truck would be inside.

I like the smaller boxes too, looks alot like a self storage businesses so good work.

Shirk/Jooni,

I like the idea of having holes in the chainlink fences... but may i recommend that buildings that are in good repair or away from the bulk of the initial chaos, should have full fences.. that maybe we can scale or climb to get over?

AWESOME UPDATE! Thank you!!

I believe he was referring to the car doors not being able to open due to the tight space. The storage building doors can be opened.

5 hours ago, Skeptic said:

I believe he was referring to the car doors not being able to open due to the tight space. The storage building doors can be opened.

LOL, okay that makes alot of sense.

Would still like to be able to ram into the garage door and have it cave inwards lol

Every dev update makes me fill more and more excitement, the dedication to finally make a game like this a reality.
Would love to see VR support farther down the line after full release  ^_^