Welcome to The Dead Matter Community!

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

jooni

Delay Discussion

42 posts in this topic

I'm an older gamer and a streamer (funny combo eh?)  and I know what a rushed out, buggy mess can do to a game.  I had super high hopes for survive the nights and it was obviously rushed out against the dev's wishes.  That DOESN'T have to happen here.   Here's what I'd much rather see, and use my crystal ball to help out.

1.  If we wait a few weeks or months, the game will be in a much better state, it will have more 'staying power' because we all know the moment it's out, everyone will be playing, youtubing and streaming the hell out of it.   If the game is 'rushed' to hit a deadline, and 'thin' people will go through all the content and say 'hey, we waited for x,y,z time and this is BULLSHIT!'  which is stupid.   Wouldn't most of us want a smoother, more content RICH experience?  I know I sure would.  

2.  OR we can rush it out ASAP just to appease a few die hards/angry people.  The same people btw that will most likely scream the loudest that things aren't 100% done, aren't 100% perfect and that features (in a damn ALPHA) are broken.  

Suggestion:  Open up some sort of refund for those that are going to say 'omg, I can't possibly understand why a game that's had HALF it's dev team leave isn't out on time!'  Open up backing to compensate for those people, new people will gladly take their place I'm sure.  Especially with a road map put into place (if you can or already have) to let people know WHEN a, b AND c happen, we will open the alpha, not launch the game, but put out the Alpha.

I've been in the industry for 3 years, and watched it and been a gamer for 20+ before that.   Deadlines are cancer to a dev house.  I'd take away any deadline and replace it with a road map that is updated weekly, via all social medias, twitter, forums, blog, youtube of what was done this week.  People LOVE to see things progress, even if it's as small as 'xyz dev finally made all the containers work for these 5 buildings this week.'   radio silence is DEATH, so more communication is key and I'm sure most will agree with that.    If you put out a 50 item list that has to be done (be generous, don't leave things off or lump together) and then weekly or even daily knock off a few of those.  Your fans will LOVE you for it.  Want a good example of one currently in play?   https://robertsspaceindustries.com/roadmap/board/1-Star-Citizen   Before everyone says 'omg star citizen!  REEEEEEE!'  just remember we're ONLY looking at the roadmap, NOT Star Citizen itself.  Dead Matter is a passion project that is between 3 friends, and some contractors, along with all of us eagarly awaiting in the crowd for it to come out.   Patience is key. 

The nay sayers can kindly be refunded their money and shown the door, those of us willing to put our money where our mouth is, well, I know for one I am perfectly willing to wait until even deep 2019.  Will I be happy?  Not 100% but I'd rather be waiting than be given access to a game with almost zero features just to hit a deadline that is meaningless (at least to me)  for those that it IS meaningful to, consider a refund, or consider patience if you don't want a refund.  We all know toxic people can ruin a game before it's pretty much started, just look at Star Citizen.  We don't need that here.  

What I spelled out, hopefully can be used to assist.  

Full disclosure:  I did kickstart at the $350 level to get a building named after me (I should probably ask someone about that)

I'm all a full time streamer and applied and was accepted (I believe) to the partnership program for this game.  

I'm  a HUGE zombie survival fan, so I have a vested interest and I'd much rather just admit why and what up front rather than someone think I was hiding it down the road.

This game is going to be AMAZING, if 20 minutes of my time to come up with the right words can help shepard that along than I believe I've done a good thing for a niche game type (zombie survival) that is quite lacking and/or empty.  

Hope it helps and I'm more than happy to wait another 6 to 9 months for a GOOD release over a 'rushed' release.

Let's be honest, after what happened to No Man's Sky, even with a delay on its initial release?

I'd rather you guys take all the time you need to get Dead Matter starting out on the right foot.

While delays suck, the reasons are understandable. We'd all much rather you guys didn't die from overworking or ruined relationships. I've seen countless games be rushed to meet a deadline and then they've flopped because they've been bug filled and gotten poor reviews on Steam and other websites which never get updated once all issues are fixed. 

Take your time. I look forward to streaming and making videos. The game is going to be amazing. Keep up the amazing work. Like Banlish said, even if it's just a couple of things a week, no matter how small, letting people know what's progressed is a great way to keep hype and interest going.

Honestly it's crazy how much the team has made progress and while I may not agree with 'recreating the wheel' judgement by allocating a lot of time remaking every asset-- I'm still pleased with the vlogs that has been shown to the public. I was expecting this game to run into a lot of delays (not just this one or the one made with Kickstarter dates), since it's abnormal to assume a small dev team to be able to complete a game with a lot of contents/features promised that one could say is overly ambitious for any team without ample time + resources.

Hope to see some updates (even if it's not vlogs since those are time-consuming) or maybe even raw unedited gameplay footage that can be edited/processed by your many QI Partners (so none of staff have to utilize precious hours into those vlogs).

I'm sure backers are going to have a similar mindset that we all want a quality game over a rushed game that gets sent out into Early Access for the sake of meeting some rough deadlines. I'm sure people would have appreciated some more transparency, but I'm also sure there were reasons to why it was kept hidden (i.e. half your developers leaving your team in the middle of development). As long as all the very ambitious stretch goals are met, I'm sure people won't have too much to complain about either since mods can fill in the gaps :).

Just my 2 cents.

Edit: I haven't been a long-time backer like some (recently backed about a month ago) so I was wondering what portions/aspects of Dead Matter were these other developers working on before they left? 

Edited by Karunashi
Asking about what the devs who left worked on since it might be relevant/important.

Absolute joke. Alpha Q1 was on the Kickstarter, when you went live you immediately delayed for Q4 Alpha. Here we are, nothing! All of you saying you don’t want a rushed game, how bout a game period? You complain about only having 3 members, yet you made well over your requested goal. HIRE SOME! Furthermore, the absolute shady of shade you did was not to tell your backers that half your team left! Unbelievable. Calling it now this game won’t make it. 

-D.O.A.

2 minutes ago, ColdHard Sniper said:

Absolute joke. Alpha Q1 was on the Kickstarter, when you went live you immediately delayed for Q4 Alpha. Here we are, nothing! All of you saying you don’t want a rushed game, how bout a game period? You complain about only having 3 members, yet you made well over your requested goal. HIRE SOME! Furthermore, the absolute shady of shade you did was not to tell your backers that half your team left! Unbelievable. Calling it now this game won’t make it. 

-D.O.A.

While I was looking forward to having a interesting twist in a genre of games I happen to enjoy for Q4, I understand that it takes a toll having people leave. The upheaval of that Q4 made a lot of people unhappy at the start, however I accepted what you were wanting to do. Taking dead matter in a direction with assets not just cookie cut, I enjoy that idea quite a bit. It’s always a good thing to make relationships and health first games can always wait. I had backed this pretty early on through Kickstarter and it’s been amazing seeing everything you’ve been working on over the summer and fall months. Sure you can’t please everyone, just doesn’t happen. So what if it’s another 8-10 weeks if it helps make a “stable” alpha that looks are runs pretty good, so what if it's a little bit longer? 

Keep up the good work, signing off Captain.

3 minutes ago, Onyx said:

Thank you, Onyx. I was very worried part of it would be the Shirk situation, which is very unfortunate as it is, as Shirk was and is a very large part of Dead Matter.

I completely understand why there has been a delay. I did not know that the team got cut in half- probably my own fault for not keeping as active as I could have been with what's been going on with the studio- and while the delay was surprising and unfortunate, I see why it had to occur and hope others can as well.

@jooni, you and your team have been hard at work. This passion project in a genre most people would declare dead has probably had more individual hours of development and alot more heart, blood, sweat, and tears poured in than most titles we've been seeing since Dead Matter began development. 

I really appreciate your work and I feel many other members of the community do as well. Thank you for delaying the game rather than rushing it, thank you for not continuing to push yourself unhealthily, and for pushing yourself as long as you did, and for letting us know that stuff was up. Thank you and your team immensely for the effort that has been poured in. I hope that things start looking good again for a 2019 release, and I hope we hear from Shirk again soon. 

'im french / Google traduction

Sincerely how is it possible to warn us only a few days before the scheduled dates of a delay of a few weeks when the reasons unovoked are from several months ... it's not serious at all

The first time I was already skeptical and I remember very well the comments at the time but I had confidence but this time I am very disappointed

When we see that MacS is working on the police station and there is nothing around the police station I am very worried, the game is far from finished ....

Finally ? a year late and 2 delays announced have been only a few days deadlines!, It's frankly not very honest and I'm not confident for the future, it's really a shame.

23 minutes ago, Ultra said:

When we see that MacS is working on the police station and there is nothing around the police station I am very worried, the game is far from finished ....

Shirk does his modeling on a test map, that space isn't the actual game map. 

The devs have good reason for the delay, and there was little they could do to prevent it. But I do understand if you are disappointed. 

I understand the delay, I really do, but I wait for this game for more then a year by now. Not only that but I also convinced some of my friends to get the game and they will trash talk me hard for this xD (they are not as reasonable). I hope the game is as good as we all imagine it is.

Edited by STRADIVARIUS

18 minutes ago, Ultra said:

'im french / Google traduction

Sincerely how is it possible to warn us only a few days before the scheduled dates of a delay of a few weeks when the reasons unovoked are from several months ... it's not serious at all

The first time I was already skeptical and I remember very well the comments at the time but I had confidence but this time I am very disappointed

Finally ? a year late and 2 delays announced have been only a few days deadlines!, It's frankly not very honest and I'm not confident for the future, it's really a shame.

The level that you see when I stream is a test map that I build the prefab buildings on, so we can at a later time place them in the world, the map is meant to design the buildings, and only the buildings, not the surrounding environment.

11 minutes ago, HavocHank said:

Shirk does his modeling on a test map, that space isn't the actual game map. 

The devs have good reason for the delay, and there was little they could do you prevent it. But I do understand if you are disappointed. 

Just to add onto this, I feel it's important to point out the difficulty of modelling in a cluttered worldspace.

6 minutes ago, Shirk said:

The level that you see when I stream is a test map that I build the prefab buildings on, so we can at a later time place them in the world, the map is meant to design the buildings, and only the buildings, not the surrounding environment.

SHIRK! 😃😃😃😃😃😃😃

You can't control every aspect of a job - you can't force people to stay when they want to leave, and you can't always hire new people immediately when that happens. Losing half (!!) your team is a huge blow.

I'm fine with the delay, and I hope those who aren't eventually relax about it.  Developers are people too, and shouldn't be working 80+ hour weeks.  Put out a good game, not a fast-to-make game.

(Also, it's the first game from a new developer. Did you guys really think it'd be 100% on time with no setbacks at all?  If so, learn from this and adjust your expectations in the future. Alpha/early access games should always be purchased with delays expected, especially with a first-time company.)

Delays happen :) better to produce quality and take time than rush and be let down by your work.

You guys just keep on, and giving it your best waiting longer is not big deal when the results reflect the time and effort.

Losing half your workforce would suck, especially if you know the people well!

Finding replacements is a long process and people who jump into a project this late need some time to catch up with everything.

I'm sure the majority of backers don't care about the delay but it would be great to get some more frequent updates on any progress made