Dead Matter
ATTENTION: Due to issues with the new forum update the custom theme has been disabled. The theme will return when all issues have been resolved.
jooni

Delay Discussion

Posted (edited)

LOL that made me laugh. ^^^ yes that was me as well. 

Just out of curiosity. We are roughly half way through the extension, give or take the Holidays. Is there any additional insight regarding a better release date? I am fully aware it was an estimate when this post was originally submitted. Just curious if the lead team could say something like "We are aiming for Valentines Day" or something. I don't get on discord all that much so if this is out there sorry for missing it. 

For the record. If you launch this on Valentines Day. That's the coldest Shit you could ever do. I gotta treat the lady right and if you release on the one day of February I don't dare touch this keyboard, well that's just cold. 

Edited by JollyRoger
additional question

On 1/7/2019 at 7:26 PM, JollyRoger said:

LOL that made me laugh. ^^^ yes that was me as well. 

Just out of curiosity. We are roughly half way through the extension, give or take the Holidays. Is there any additional insight regarding a better release date? I am fully aware it was an estimate when this post was originally submitted. Just curious if the lead team could say something like "We are aiming for Valentines Day" or something. I don't get on discord all that much so if this is out there sorry for missing it. 

For the record. If you launch this on Valentines Day. That's the coldest Shit you could ever do. I gotta treat the lady right and if you release on the one day of February I don't dare touch this keyboard, well that's just cold. 

There wont be a release in February. We will announce where we are with development at the end of February, but we dont want to announce another date until we are 100% confident with it. 

4 hours ago, MrDeath said:

No release in Feb now? Just release something for us to play. It cant be that bad. 

First impressions count when it comes to Early Access games such as this, in the past people would have been more forgiving when the Alpha scene was new on the market, but people are very critical these days.

If it were to be released it wouldn't be the experience they Developers want to promote, it would turn away future players and although no matter how many times games are stated to be in Alpha stage, people still tend to hand out reviews as if it were the finished product. The Alpha release will not be feature complete but it's best to let it cook until the demo alone to seem solid enough and promote a good enough image to make people want to come back.

Couldn't have said it better than Raccu, the label of being an Alpha or Early Access game ultimately means very little when it comes to the game's first impressions. In the end, the only thing that really matters is the initial experience that players have and if it will make them want to keep coming back and playing more. For this reason, the best course of action for the game to be as successful and enjoyable as possible is for the devs to take the time they need.

So i've heard that the game has gotten delayed until the end of February 2019.  Is the plan for the game to be released at the end of February?  

@Babytay That's incorrect, at the end of the month, they will release an announcement on the state of the game's development and plans moving forward.  Not necessarily a release date.

Im sure they will cover it in the Latest Dev Log, But I have been watching Shirk Make a new map on Twitch. The detail of it is incredible, and extensive. There is a lot of work into making this right. I am very excited about it. If your craving a taste (Like I Am) watching them actually build the game is satisfying. 

The impression I pick up, And please correct me if im wrong. They got a lot of traction really fast and they started to toss together a game. Rushing to put out an alpha means you cut corners to get a product into the hands of folks. (with the mindset you will go back and pretty it up later) Ultimately this never works right. Errors pop up whether it be coding, rendering, optimizing, or something just doesn't look quite right. You will have to back track and rework the mistakes and errors everyone learned along the way. Compounded with a team of folks spread out over some distance. Not everyone's image lines up.  Eventually at some point You have to cut your losses and Start fresh. You can build a 2nd round much faster knowing what not to do. 

Imagine, if you will, Your drawing elevation plans for a house. And you want to change the roof, it looks ok, but its just not exactly what you want. So you erase and redraw, erase and redraw. Eventually the  paper gets all marred up and now your have the right pitch but it doesn't look professional. So you need a fresh sheet, and this time you know the exact angle from your protractor..

Now take the same principle with a game where some buildings don't render well or have a massive GPU draw, or there is a coding that conflicts with another code. People are critical of performance and something this size, takes time. Instead of wasting time reworking the buildings that are broken, spend time putting together better buildings from scratch. take the same principle and multiply it over and over and over and over again. Zombie movement, Bullet Dynamics, Weather Patterns, Lighting, Physics, The coding for the actual players, their professions, their metagame, all the extra props they need to make, AND AND my least favorite Any update from Unreal Engine that can really throw a wrench in the plans.  Long story short. Yes it may be some months before we see an Alpha but ffs give these boys some props for having the heart to look at that monumental task and take it head on. Not only for themselves, BUT for you and for me. 

As a quick point, firstly :

I did go into this and considered that this was indeed to be a decent open world survival game with emphasized semi-realistic themes, (also working trains like I REALLY hope they do make it in and are as functional as I hope they will be) I weighed the risks but saw potential.

I'm a realist, I know problems happen but I am disappointed and get the feeling you guys bit off more then you could chew, No mistake what I DO see is impressive and I know there is hope yet I appreciate you taking time off to keep us all in the loop.

I appreciate you actually want to deliver a actual functional game for us backers to try, and not leave us in some horrid limbo like Interstellar marines (boy do I regret backing that one) or star citizen.

That out of the way a question, When I am getting my "forum badge" as promised in the "The blackest eyes," Pledge?

Edited by ltblackcoat

1 hour ago, ltblackcoat said:

That out of the way a question, When I am getting my "forum badge" as promised in the "The blackest eyes," Pledge?

The backer badge hasn't been implemented on the forums yet, an automated system for handing them out is still in the works. Can't give a definitive time estimate on that just yet. 

20 hours ago, HavocHank said:

The backer badge hasn't been implemented on the forums yet, an automated system for handing them out is still in the works. Can't give a definitive time estimate on that just yet. 

Alright, can't say its a priority ether. Thank you.

On 11/8/2018 at 9:06 AM, JellyDonuts said:

Losing half your workforce would suck, especially if you know the people well!

Finding replacements is a long process and people who jump into a project this late need some time to catch up with everything.

I'm sure the majority of backers don't care about the delay but it would be great to get some more frequent updates on any progress made

I agree 100% I'm only bothered by the delay because of the lack of transparency

1 hour ago, methuselah said:

I agree 100% I'm only bothered by the delay because of the lack of transparency

The devs are trying to be as transparent as possible. Dev vlogs are released showing progress on their work on the game, and an announcement specifically regarding the release will be coming soon. 

I think when you realise you can't make *everyone* happy, you'll stress less about it. Regardless how transparent the guys will be there will be always someone who will be upset/disappointed etc. Just manage the workflow as best as possible and keep even micro updates on the progress and the vast majority of people will be happy.

Just curious if there was any additional/available insight.  Are there any indications of another delay? Or are we still on track for summer of 2019? Everything looks great, thus far, but with new contractors coming on board I'm sure the team needed to throttle down some so everyone can catch up.