Dead Matter
ATTENTION: Due to issues with the new forum update the custom theme has been disabled. The theme will return when all issues have been resolved.
David

Unofficial Writing Contest Winners!

dm.png.b0277858a24cb3410b9d2949c71afe2d.png.0feecdf6f60a90c437072b2c0bab2a82.png

Unofficial Community Contest Winners!

Write a Story

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Congratulations to the first unofficial contest winners!

For this competition, the goal was to write an entertaining story which met requirements.

Keep in mind, this is an unofficial contest and has no affiliation with Quantum Integrity Software. There is no guarantee from Quantum Integrity Software that winners will receive their prize as a result.

You will still receive your prize if you win, it is just not affiliated with QIS. If you have issues with the contest or rewards please contact me and we will try to work out any issues.

How this contest was scored:

There will be a scoring system in place. The scoring system goes as follows:

Grammatical correctness - If there is less than five spelling or grammatical errors, you will receive 10 points.

Community feedback - Reactions will be used to score how much your fellow forum goers enjoy the story. For every reaction assigned to your post, you will get 15 points.

Originality - The more original your story is, which because it is subjective will be weighed by a volunteer committee, will give you between zero and thirty points.

Entertainment - The more entertaining your work is, which is also subjective and to be weighed by the committee, will give you between ten and thirty points.

Requirements:

Be original: Plagiarism is not tolerated and stealing stories won't be either. Fanfictions involving copyrighted characters were not accepted. 

Have minimal spelling and grammatical error.

Must be a fictional story - Exceptions may be made for personal stories.

Must fit in one post.

Must follow the forum guidelines all well- Any rule-breaking is not tolerated.

Have fun! Write something you enjoy writing about. Anything goes within these guidelines, and if you want to tell a horror story, a comedic tale, etc. you are free to.

Winners!

@leenewton1 won first place in the contest with the following scores:

Community votes- 30 points.

Originality- 15 points.

Grammatical correctness- 10 points.

Entertainment- 20 points.

Total score: 75 points. Good job, Lee!

On 10/27/2018 at 1:56 AM, leenewton1 said:

I know the structure is a bit flawed, but this is what I came up with.

Lights flickered on and off throughout the city. Traffic lights which were once safety features for the roads were no longer functional. Windows of shops were broken, cars were wrecked by the sidewalks. Wasted paper were scattered across the ground being swept around by the silent wind. Leaves rustled in the quiet city. There was little to no human interaction anymore. It was like a ghost town.

My name is Isabel, I grew up in Singapore. I was an only child whom had lived happily with my parents. I was 17 years old, everything was normal. Like all the other teenagers, I was studying in school while my parents were out working. My mom works in an office, leaving early in the morning and only coming back around midnight. I barely saw my mom on the weekdays and hence, treasured our ‘family bonding days’ on the weekends. My dad worked as a real-estate agent which gave him a lot of flexibility and free time. He would usually cook me dinner and drove me around to places I had to be. Needless to say, I love my family, who doesn’t?

It was a dreaded Monday in July. As usual, my Mom left for work early in the morning, and I left for school. It was a rather boring day in school, we were revising through the topics that were covered in the end-semestral examination. When I got home, my dad had already prepared dinner. We had our dinner, catching up on our day at the dining table. That night, I stayed up in my room, practicing and revising for my exam. It was around 12.30am, my dad was fast asleep but my mom was still not home. I thought maybe it would’ve been one of ‘those days’ where my mom would go out drinking with her colleagues and thought nothing of it. Around 1.15am, I decided to sleep.

I was shook awoke by my panic-stricken dad. “Have you seen Mom? She hasn’t been home yet, she isn’t answering my calls!” I figured, maybe I could try calling my Mom. I picked up my phone and saw a string of whatsapps from my class group chat. They seemed to be discussing about an article about a new epidemic which had struck Singapore. I brushed it off as a “chain message” and dialed my Mom. It rang and rang but it was to no avail. I suggested, “maybe she was drunk and slept over at her friend’s house?” After calming down, my dad got in the car and drove me to school.

The radio abruptly cut from music to a news report about an epidemic which had hit Singapore, leaving many hospitalized. It urged citizens to stay home or to leave home with a face mask if necessary. I urged my dad to bring us home and he did. On television, news reports with images of the sick lying on hospital beds. “Solanum is incredibly contagious and possibly lethal, we are currently working hard on a cure. If showing symptoms such as coughing or severe headaches, please head to the nearest clinic as soon as possible.” the news anchor announced.

6 Months later, Singapore fell under military control. The government promised us safety and eradication of the virus. The United Nations demanded for the virus to be contained within Singapore. The airport was shut down, bridges were blocked off. Armed Military guarded the checkpoints and airports. Citizens who were non-compliant and tried escaping, were shot to death. The country fell into chaos. Some citizens still stayed in their homes, but were susceptible to random raids and had to abide by the curfew. Others were evacuated into the over-cramped safe-zones, protected by armed guards and electric fences. I was one of them. However, my dad died to starvation. Food and water were airlifted into the country on a weekly basis. Each citizen was given just enough to survive each week, no more, no less.

Time went on and there was no update of the severity of the virus in Singapore. Citizens in safe-zones were getting restless. Fights and deaths were common within the safe-zones, but this was different. The citizens were demanding for answers and demanded to be released from this “safe-zone”. The citizens armed together and rioted towards the exit. Rifles fired and many rioters were killed. Bodies were falling to the ground, some were shot to death while others were trampled to death by the rioters. I took this opportunity and snuck out the window in the chief’s office.

The city was torn apart. Vegetation grew on the buildings and roads. Old cars were rusted and falling apart. Decomposed bodies strewn across the pavements. Windows were broken. The traffic lights were dead. There was no sign of electricity or life in the city. I headed back in the direction of my home. The roads were quiet.

The deafening sound of a rifle screamed through the trees up ahead. I took cover and hid. A weird croaking sound approached from behind. The sound got closer and closer. I turned to look, it was a zombie. The zombie ran in the direction of the woods and didn’t stop. The streets weren’t so empty after all. I then continued cautiously towards home.

The windows were broken, doors were broken. A thick layer of dust covered the rather untouched furniture. The door creaked open as I pushed it. A faint scratching sound came from inside the study room. I tip-toed to the kitchen making sure not to make any sudden noise. I reached beside the sink, picking up a knife. I crept slowly towards the study room. A black figure crouched over a half-eaten, decomposing body. I leapt forward, shoving the knife into the head of the figure. Black blood oozed out of the wound as the figure fell on its stomach. I pushed the dead corpse aside to examine the decomposing body.

The body wore a wristband on his right hand which read “Lee”. I took a step back, it was my father. Tears filled my eyes, recalling the time he gave me his share of rations saying he didn’t need it. I removed the wristband off him and held it close to my chest. I fell to my knees. Emotions overwhelmed me as I reminisced him.

After another 6 years, an immunity shot was finally distributed to the remaining survivors. The remaining military took out the leftover zombies. The bridges were re-opened. I stood in the heart of the city with many other survivors. I took the wristband off my hand and laid it down beside a candle and wrote my dad’s name on the wall. Many others cried and left flowers as we mourned for the fallen. The sun rose along the coastline, it was a new dawn. The government was slowly reformed and with the aid of other countries, Singapore started rebuilding itself. Many chose to seek refuge elsewhere, not wanting to be reminded of the past. I chose to stay, to keep the last memories of my family close to me.

@Callmejeff won second place in the contest with the following scores:

Community votes- 15 points.

Originality- 20 points.

Total score: 65 points. Congratulations, Jeff!

On 11/13/2018 at 11:19 AM, Callmejeff said:

I tried man. I'm not good at this.

Being bitten is not fun. Try having someone bite deep into your flesh and rip it apart. I just feel so nauseated. Why me, out of everyone else, it just had to be me. I’m infected now. Soon, I’ll be just like one of them. A brainless monster limping around the city, dead but undead. -Day 1

Life is tough, knowing you’re about to turn. You cut yourself off from all your loved ones to keep them safe from yourself. Oh how much I miss Margaret. At least I know I saved her. I’m starting to get this tingly feeling near the wound. Maybe its infected. -Day 2

I think its infected. Ha ha ha, of course its infected. At least my sense of humor is still intact. Oh but it hurts to laugh. My body aches. Note to self – don’t move so much. -Day 4

I can’t believe I’ve been alive for this long. I actually feel way better. Though, the wound is getting more corroded, I should probably scavenge a pharmacy to treat it. -Day 25

The other survivors still don’t accept me. Thank god they didn’t shoot. I’ve begun sweating a lot more. I hope nothing is going wrong -Day 28

I get nightmares now. I get stuck looped on the memory of getting bitten. I’ve also begun to lose some memory, good thing I’ve been writing these logs. Note to self – The sky is blue. -Day 38

I’m losing it, I can’t tell between real and fake anymore. The whistle of the wind always put me on the edge. I’ve become paranoid. I’m currently cooped up in a corner of the supermarket trying to survive. -Day 41

I can’t s…stop vomiting. I don’t feel s…s…o good. Maybe sleeping will help. -Day 42

Each day I feel more and more out of control. I found a gun stashed under the shelf. -Day 44

Tell Margaret I love her. -Day 50

@JamesTheRipper won third place in the contest with the following scores:

Community votes- 15 points.

Originality- 13 points.

Total score: 48 points. Congratulations, James!

On 10/30/2018 at 1:25 PM, JamesTheRipper said:

:) 

It was a stormy Thursday night, cracks of lightning were strewn across the night sky. My Mom used to tell me that the faster you hear the roar of the thunder, the nearer it is to you. Although now, they all seemed right beside me. Rain slammed against the locked glass windows in the living room. Soon enough, the power went out.

The rain kept pouring down with winds stronger than the engine of a fighter jet. At first, the rain started out small. Trickles of rain dripped down from the evening sky. As the rain slowly grew stronger, along with it came the wind. Leaves of trees rustled heavily in the wind. Leaves held tight onto the branches like a toddler clinging onto its favorite bolster. No-one had expected such a heavy downpour in the middle of summer.

My family and I sought shelter in the bathroom of our home. The rain had cancelled our plan for a family outing but left us in panic and fear. Earlier today, an emergency broadcast warned citizens to stay home that day, and so we did. They stated that wind was blowing a huge patch of rain towards North Carolina where we lived and that there was a chance we were in the way of it. Surely enough, it did have landfall here.

Although it was in a time of fear, unknown of whether the hurricane would tear the roof above us apart, we had the comfort of each other. We sped up time by talking to one another and telling jokes, trying to keep our minds off what was actually happening outside our home. We laughed and we smiled as we went on talking.

After about 7 hours, the rain finally stopped. Bunches of leaves and branches were strewn across the ground. Dustbins were flipped over spewing out all of its contents. Although this was a disaster, it had bonded my family closer together after we had spend all that time together stuck in a tiny bathroom. The thought of the storm was replaced by cherished memories of my family members laughing and smiling. As the quote goes “After every storm, there is a rainbow”. The rainbow beamed across the orange morning sky. It was a new day.

Obtaining your reward

All winners will be contacted with a direct message over the Dead Matter forums on the launch of the alpha, beta, and full game with an alpha, beta, and full game key, respectively. From there, the keys can be redeemed on Steam.

Thank you all for participating and congratulations to the winners!

Edited by David

22 hours ago, leenewton1 said:

Hey, sorry but just to ask, even despite the delay in launch i will still receive the copy right? Still waiting for the game to be released :(

Absolutely. All keys will be released release day, whenever that might be.