Dead Matter
ATTENTION: Due to issues with the new forum update the custom theme has been disabled. The theme will return when all issues have been resolved.
jooni

Vlog 05 Discussion

Soiled my pants.

Now wishing that delay didn't happen (insert Kappa) 😂

In all seriousness, the game looks phenomenal. I'm just as excited to see the next dev blog as I am to play the actual game.

Keep up the great work guys, it's coming along wonderfully.

Great vlog, I heard someone say that zombies would be able to run through doors just as easy as players, this would be good for doors that don't have knobs and handles, but I don't think that should be the case for normal doors, if a door has a knob or handle zombies shouldn't be able to open doors if the player makes sure the door is properly shut. Just my opinion but something to think about?

Looks amazing. You mentioned you can set alarms off in buildings to attract zombies, is the same possible with the bell tower in the church? Coupled with some traps it could be a good way to take care of nearby zombies.

1 hour ago, BB | Fuzzy Ranga said:

Great vlog, I heard someone say that zombies would be able to run through doors just as easy as players, this would be good for doors that don't have knobs and handles, but I don't think that should be the case for normal doors, if a door has a knob or handle zombies shouldn't be able to open doors if the player makes sure the door is properly shut. Just my opinion but something to think about?

We have different types of doors, the doors that the zombies can run through are ones that are either ajar( slightly open, and not shut) or swinging doors. Doors that can be physically closed with a handle/latch will require zombies to break through. 

Edited by Shirk

51 minutes ago, khaltzane said:

Looks amazing. You mentioned you can set alarms off in buildings to attract zombies, is the same possible with the bell tower in the church? Coupled with some traps it could be a good way to take care of nearby zombies.

Thats a good idea for the bell in the church, safe to say you can see that in the future! 

1 hour ago, khaltzane said:

I'll definitely get this into the game.

30 minutes ago, Shirk said:

We have different types of doors, the doors that the zombies can run through are ones that are either ajar( slightly open, and not shut) or swinging doors. Doors that can be physically closed with a handle/latch will require zombies to break through. 

Thanks for responding and clarifying the doors, game is looking absolutely great and your all doing great work! Thanks for being open with the community 😀

1 hour ago, BB | Fuzzy Ranga said:

afaik that case you mentioned is just for doors without handles, pretty sure any door with a knob has to be opened for stuff to go through

1 hour ago, Shirk said:

Thats a good idea for the bell in the church, safe to say you can see that in the future! 

56 minutes ago, jooni said:

I'll definitely get this into the game.

Awesome. Looking forward to seeing what I can set up with it when it's done. Keep up the amazing work. 

Great vlog, this really shows that you guys have been hard at work. Well done!

On a different note, I saw this post on Twitter and saw someone asking if there will be any zombies in forests, to which Dead Matter responded no. Can I ask why that is? Zombies in forests, apart from being a completely plausible premise due to the endemic wildlife, would keep the game's horror alive. There's nothing like being in a huge forest and swerving your head around at all times to look out for a possible sign of the undead. It really would keep the sense of unrest instilled into players since there wouldn't be anywhere truly safe to take a sigh of relief in.

It could be that you guys have other threats in mind with regard to the forest, or there might be none at all. I just think that it's both odd and, to a degree, disappointing that there won't be any zombies in forests. Great work nonetheless.

10 minutes ago, dez said:

On a different note, I saw this post on Twitter and saw someone asking if there will be any zombies in forests, to which Dead Matter responded no. Can I ask why that is? Zombies in forests, apart from being a completely plausible premise due to the endemic wildlife, would keep the game's horror alive. There's nothing like being in a huge forest and swerving your head around at all times to look out for a possible sign of the undead. It really would keep the sense of unrest instilled into players since there wouldn't be anywhere truly safe to take a sigh of relief in.

It could be that you guys have other threats in mind with regard to the forest, or there might be none at all. I just think that it's both odd and, to a degree, disappointing that there won't be any zombies in forests. Great work nonetheless.

Agreed, it makes sense there'd be some zombies in the wilderness since they'd have wandered out of the cities in search of more prey.

Looks great but i noticed that there is not a shadow for legs it just goes for the upper torso and head.

I mean it probably wont matter but I thought it might be worth a mention.

Edited by JpSilentXSniper

11 minutes ago, JpSilentXSniper said:

Looks great but i noticed that there is not a shadow for legs it just goes for the upper torso and head.

I mean it probably wont matter but I thought it might be worth a mention.

Spooky~

11 hours ago, dez said:

There will be zombies around buildings and such in forests, but no zombies in the middle of no where in a forest. 

4 hours ago, Shirk said:

There will be zombies around buildings and such in forests, but no zombies in the middle of no where in a forest. 

So essentially they're at least aware enough to know that building = food, tree = no food? That does make a bit of sense. 

Loving it. 

The environments look top quality, better in many cases than several games I've played this year which had bigger budgets and larger teams behind them.

Overall I can't wait to get into it.

My one point of criticism would be that the 'NERA' decontamination tents are quite clean in contrast to the other environments. It's not that the interiors haven't been cluttered which the floor could use a bit more of, but rather that the plastic looks new and unused as if it were a product showcase rather than a tent in use in a once active evacuation point. 

1 hour ago, Luigi4518 said:

My one point of criticism would be that the 'NERA' decontamination tents are quite clean in contrast to the other environments. 

It's still a WIP, details like that just haven't been added yet. All the buildings and environments start off clean when they make them, and then finer details like props and dirty textures get added later. 

On 12/1/2018 at 11:43 PM, khaltzane said:

It might take care of the nearby zombies but will most likely draw in more, in a never-ending loop!

Honest feedback, progress seems slow, but impressive.

It seems as I have read that many outsiders view it as "generic" I hope you show off and work more on the unique features that I backed this for like, advanced electricity and my personal favorite TRAINS (because this really is something not really seen, I'll be content even if its basic it need not be true simulation).

More on discussed topics on the Vid itself I hope to be able to disable the alarms altogether (and maybe other electronics, perhaps even hot wiring some devices to open when the power eventually fades(with portable generator assistance perhaps)) as flicking a switch at a fuse box seems like a none fix (that cheeky scrub knows this too).

So, i've been following you guys since about 2016 and inicialy i was very excited about this game and its development. But since then some things have shut me down and i would like to list them in hope of change.

- The release. Since the beginning of the news from deadmatter we have been feed with the inicial 2018 Q1 promisse of a early alpha deploy. Latter on you guys changed it to Q4 and now we are sitting at the "when we feel the game is ready". I really want to dedicate a lot of time and effort in this game but since so many times companies have just ruinned amazing games, i'm at least a bit insecure about this. We are at Q4 and we have yet to see how the *real* gameplay works (more in the next topic). So i would love to see you guys throwing a little bone to the comunity in that sense expecialy so we could all know what kind of devs/and company are we dealing with (although comunication happens through many means i dont really saw any noticeable feedback of the comunity taken seriously).

- The gameplay. I mean you guys probably know what i mean. The zombies movements, loot spawn, player UI, player stats, as well as some of the more fancy stuff announced (like house customizations, advanced building, etc.) haven't been showcased still. The latest videos we had of actual gameplay was just a character on godmode walking around empty buildings and not really doing much. Yeah the ambience is fenomenal, buildings are looking great, but other then fancy looking structures and some animations we haven't been updated at all. I know you guys are probably figuring the whole map so you can move foward on gameplay but that makes me as a gamer Just get frustrated over how slow progress is being made. I mean if we are only on graphics design and its been almost 2 years in development.... How long Will we wait until an actual release?

Although i made maybe rough points i would like to say i did it because i still care for this game and want it to be as freaking awsome as it possibly can. I even sent you guys an e-mail with my personal resume in case you wanted or needed any help, because this is my commitment to it. 

I Hope i get some answers and wish you guys great success.

Best Regards.

2 hours ago, Snopeeh said:

So, i've been following you guys since about 2016 and inicialy i was very excited about this game and its development. But since then some things have shut me down and i would like to list them in hope of change.

- The release. Since the beginning of the news from deadmatter we have been feed with the inicial 2018 Q1 promisse of a early alpha deploy. Latter on you guys changed it to Q4 and now we are sitting at the "when we feel the game is ready". I really want to dedicate a lot of time and effort in this game but since so many times companies have just ruinned amazing games, i'm at least a bit insecure about this. We are at Q4 and we have yet to see how the *real* gameplay works (more in the next topic). So i would love to see you guys throwing a little bone to the comunity in that sense expecialy so we could all know what kind of devs/and company are we dealing with (although comunication happens through many means i dont really saw any noticeable feedback of the comunity taken seriously).

- The gameplay. I mean you guys probably know what i mean. The zombies movements, loot spawn, player UI, player stats, as well as some of the more fancy stuff announced (like house customizations, advanced building, etc.) haven't been showcased still. The latest videos we had of actual gameplay was just a character on godmode walking around empty buildings and not really doing much. Yeah the ambience is fenomenal, buildings are looking great, but other then fancy looking structures and some animations we haven't been updated at all. I know you guys are probably figuring the whole map so you can move foward on gameplay but that makes me as a gamer Just get frustrated over how slow progress is being made. I mean if we are only on graphics design and its been almost 2 years in development.... How long Will we wait until an actual release?

Although i made maybe rough points i would like to say i did it because i still care for this game and want it to be as freaking awsome as it possibly can. I even sent you guys an e-mail with my personal resume in case you wanted or needed any help, because this is my commitment to it. 

I Hope i get some answers and wish you guys great success.

Best Regards.

17 hours ago, ltblackcoat said:

Honest feedback, progress seems slow, but impressive.

It seems as I have read that many outsiders view it as "generic" I hope you show off and work more on the unique features that I backed this for like, advanced electricity and my personal favorite TRAINS (because this really is something not really seen, I'll be content even if its basic it need not be true simulation).

More on discussed topics on the Vid itself I hope to be able to disable the alarms altogether (and maybe other electronics, perhaps even hot wiring some devices to open when the power eventually fades(with portable generator assistance perhaps)) as flicking a switch at a fuse box seems like a none fix (that cheeky scrub knows this too).

The main reason why things seem slow is because there is a physical limit of how much content we can churn out as three developers. Johnny does all the programming ( quite a bit under the hood work that you dont see), I make the environments, from buildings to props to foliage to the map.  Its an incredible amount of work for each of us to be practically soloing, and unfortunately this is just the speed these things are getting made at. If we had two or three people in every position (most game studios have multiple programmers, environmental artists, animators, etc) then development time would surely speed up, but right now we arent fortunate enough to have that.

We work our asses off seven days a week on Dead Matter to bring you guys the game you want. I am literally dedicating my life to the game at the moment and it will be worth it in the end if people can have the patience to see the end. 

Edited by Shirk

@Snopeeh I understand your concerns, delays are always disappointing for both the players and developers. There's a few things though that hopefully I can help clarify.

Regarding the "when we feel it's ready" stance of the release date, a time range of about 8-10 weeks has been given, however do know that this is still just an estimate. It's not the most ideal answer, but game development is a fluid process and difficult to predict, especially so for very small teams like this one. And, unfortunately while the team is very talented in their craft, they don't have the experience that larger companies have in giving accurate time estimates.

The jump from the initial Q1 to Q4 was supposed to account for complications, but sadly there were some rather significant and unforeseeable setbacks. In case you haven't yet, I encourage you to read the full delay announcement here. More than anything though they are putting their standards first, as a rushed project is more doomed to fail than a delayed one. The release state of a game is critically important, some cases of this being very recent, and the devs want to give Dead Matter the best chance of succeeding as possible. It's also worth noting is that it's been about 1.5 years since the game has really been in development, not almost 2. 

The second half of your post I'm a bit confused by, as across the vlogs and older dev updates there have been many gameplay related features shown off. Zombie movement (animations are still a WIP), inventory (including item rotation and sub-containers), player gear/stats UI, carrying objects, basic barricading, electricity, object placement, weapon customization, bullet penetration and ricochet, leaning and peeking mechanics, zombie gore, season changes, emotes, vehicles and towable trailers, building and car alarms, and more have all been showcased to some degree and some have also received changes based on feedback from the community.

The list is by no means complete, but there are a number of systems that are mostly fleshed out and just need front end UI and animations to be presentable. It takes some time with only one programmer and animator on the team, the former of which also being the project lead and head of the business side of the game.