Welcome to The Dead Matter Community!

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

NOTICE

Read this first BEFORE  you register!

Onyx

Dev Vlog #6

22 posts in this topic

It is good to know your doing Thrusts/bayonets for rifles users.

Good also to see that being a siege engineer (with ladders anyway) is still a thing even if you have no "skill trees", I hope you add electronic tools for fixing/tinkering with automatic doors and lights.

However a complaint I have right now is that while you talk about realism and no skill trees you ALSO seem to have "legendary"/named class weapons/Armour/loot, while a feature I would actually like it certainly comes off as "gamey" and makes me wonder why you would NOT also do skill trees?

@ltblackcoat the decision is based on the fact that they don't want a grindy progression based system. There are plans for some skills, but they will be learned, by like reading books for example. It's also still early and things are subject to change. 

3 hours ago, ltblackcoat said:

It is good to know your doing Thrusts/bayonets for rifles users.

Good also to see that being a siege engineer (with ladders anyway) is still a thing even if you have no "skill trees", I hope you add electronic tools for fixing/tinkering with automatic doors and lights.

However a complaint I have right now is that while you talk about realism and no skill trees you ALSO seem to have "legendary"/named class weapons/Armour/loot, while a feature I would actually like it certainly comes off as "gamey" and makes me wonder why you would NOT also do skill trees?

Legendary weapons are pretty much just guns that are rare, or would generally not be a commonly found gun in Canada (ie all backer guns will be legendary) 

1 minute ago, David said:

Are we still getting that big announcement at the end of the month?

Yup, that's the plan!

Just now, Onyx said:

Yup, that's the plan!

Thanks Onyx. Also congrats on hosting the Vlog thread this time around! Really cool to see. 

2 minutes ago, David said:

Thanks Onyx. Also congrats on hosting the Vlog thread this time around! Really cool to see. 

Lol thanks, I just happen to have been awake at the right time. 

Wow! honestly its more than I expected. I was pleasantly surprised. The voice feature was something I didn't expect, and a profound yet subtle add to the game. The new Mosin (I went back and looked at the old one) - Fantastic upgrade. The first model was good, don't get me wrong, but there is a noticeable amount of Detail in the new model. 

I love the progress. I love the look. Newspapers, Green houses, the small details really set it apart. loading batteries in the flashlight. That kind of shit is what I don't think of, but I think makes the game stand apart. Nutrition being a bonus, not so much a requirement I think is a good move. Giving a bonus to those who care about that shit, yet not making everyone take part, Smart. 

Nikolas / Shirk / Nomad/ Shiny haxzorous - Keep it up. Fantastic. 

If I had one critique it would be the ladder programing. I know you said its a WIP (work in progress) but at the end when you are coming off the roof of the gas station. The ladder being hard to engage while going down would be my critique. I don't know if its worth considering using the Use Key bind to engage the ladder. 

Oh and one more thing. I caught the sneak peak at the size of the map.... Ummm how do you expect us to find anyone? Its (Pardon this) FUCKING HUGE.... You could populate a server with over 200 people and still have a hard time tracking folks down. Im not mad just curious 😃

H1 was 8km by 8km and there were 200 people (Mostly in one of three towns) but this is 3 times that size. 

On 2/9/2019 at 4:26 PM, JollyRoger said:

Oh and one more thing. I caught the sneak peak at the size of the map.... Ummm how do you expect us to find anyone? Its (Pardon this) FUCKING HUGE.... You could populate a server with over 200 people and still have a hard time tracking folks down. Im not mad just curious 😃

H1 was 8km by 8km and there were 200 people (Mostly in one of three towns) but this is 3 times that size. 

I agree, how are we supposed to find anyone in-game? I get that maybe it should be realistic to a point, but not being able to find anyone will end up feeling like DayZ. Maybe if there was a reason for people to be in certain areas (like certain areas grow crops better), then it would make more sense for a map this huge. I think the Devs have thought about it before, just gotta wait and see if there will be a Q&A type of live stream or something.

@JollyRoger you also have to keep in mind that there will be A.I factions along with zombies filling the world. plus the fact that most players will stick to suburban/city areas as it will provide protection as well as food. there will be a decent amount of ppl that go into the rural/woodland areas who enjoy it. so i believe that there shouldnt be any real problem with finding players. if you are truly worried about this, go to the clan section and find some ppl to play with, makes it a lot easier.

60-80 people minimum for a 400km^2 map isn't that bad really. You'll still be able to run into people occasionally, especially in towns. And like Dinkleburg said, the world will be populated by loads of zombies and a good amount of survivor NPCs as well.

Love what's going on with this game. Will be purchasing and supporting with putting my name on a jersey or bench. A great idea that was brought up to me was having names on address signs. Infront of small town community houses in rural Canada some people put a sign up with Thier last name in the sign. 

Eg 424 Weston St

Smiths

I would totally spend money on getting my name on a sign like this and then try find my house in game to occupy 😎 or maybe an in game purchase once occupying a house. Set up your base at a house find a workstation and crafting materials and put your name on the sign out front. 

Keep up the good work. Purchasing a gaming pc and switching from consol for this game 😎

14 hours ago, GillBird said:

I agree, how are we supposed to find anyone in-game? I get that maybe it should be realistic to a point, but not being able to find anyone will end up feeling like DayZ. Maybe if there was a reason for people to be in certain areas (like certain areas grow crops better), then it would make more sense for a map this huge. I think the Devs have thought about it before, just gotta wait and see if there will be a Q&A type of live stream or something.

Bring friends, as many as possible. 😎

Terrific update!

Anyways I have to say that when it comes to open world games, a bigger map is better as long as the level of detail and interactivity doesn't suffer.

Even if large sections of real estate are likely to go unused most of the time, I still like knowing it's there.

23 minutes ago, John Nada said:

Terrific update!

Anyways I have to say that when it comes to open world games, a bigger map is better as long as the level of detail and interactivity doesn't suffer.

Even if large sections of real estate are likely to go unused most of the time, I still like knowing it's there.

That's why the map for the closed alpha will be smaller, so more attention to detail can be given to it. The map will become more detailed and expanded upon over the course of development.