Welcome to The Dead Matter Community!

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

NOTICE

Read this first BEFORE  you register!

Smoq2

Very interesting title, but how is it different than DayZ/Scum?

6 posts in this topic

Hi,

I'm new here and my interest was peaked by the recent Dev Vlog. It looks really pretty. Good work art devs so far.

But as a player that poured 1.5k hours into DayZ and a decent amount into Scum, I'm having trouble finding stuff that sets this apart from those games. How is this different?

Scum proved to be just a refined version of DayZ, which managed to pull just a small chunk of DayZ playerbase from the "progenitor" of the genre. From my perspective Scum struggles to populate their game - only a handful of servers ever become full, despite being in many aspects better than DayZ. DayZ will always have the marketing booster of being "the original s***".

Multiplayer hardcore survival games are not in their prime time anymore too. I'm reading this game focuses on PvE more than PvP. Scum and DayZ also claimed during the development process that they want to make the environment the main antagonist - didn't work out in the end since most of their playerbase/common players want more PvP.

So the question is simply "why"? Why do we need another survival shooter? The obvious answer for the players is probably "why not?", but it's not so obvious for the dev team, I believe. As a game and content creator I know that the author prefers to have his/her creation used rather than just having it exist for the sole purpose of existing (most of the time at least). 

I like what I see so far, but it's not a game changer, and from the offering the devs give, it won't be in the future either. Judging by the development effects visible thus far, the size of the team, and the current value prop of the product, I'd foresee Dead Matter to be the Miscreated of the future, with peak players reaching 2.5k at release, then barely reaching 1k at peak times month after.

Sorry guys, unless you change the stakes by creating something different, this is how it will most likely go. Scum, Miscreated, Infestation, etc. are all numerous case studies that multiplayer survival (especially with zombies) is a very narrow niche and players will mostly stick to just one game in the genre with the biggest community.

In order not to sound so depressing, I suggest maybe focusing on singleplayer more? Or co-op? Sure, Generation Zero will be there first, but maybe there will still be some room?

Best of luck, I really admire the devs going against the odds!

Edited by Smoq2

One of the things, As you already pointed out, Is the PvE with PvP elements which is pretty well baked into the game loop and doubled down on. A good focus on teamwork/picking professions that help alleviate  the groups weaknesses also help reinforce that. The ethicist on the zombies being the main threat and the winters being absolutely brutal is what really helped peek my interest. 

I've seen a lot of people compare DM to a 3D version of Project Zomboid which a lot of people seem to want and seems to spark a lot of the people's interest. 

The constant communication they have with the community and the amount of passion that they show towards the game gives me a lot of faith that they can deliver a solid game.

The game also offers a singleplayer experience which seems much stronger than SCUM, with some light roleplaying elements introduced. Quests and detailed world exploration and lore are included, along with NPC factions, while both SCUM and DayZ are mostly walking into copy-paste buildings with nothing really there but loot and zombies. The game has also been stated on multiple occasions to have mod support.

tbh when u put 1.5k hours into something, u tend to love it. so when u see something different, u will always have a skeptical point of view, even a negative opinion, which is why u had your rant. and your not wrong to be seedy about the game, most ppl are with games that havnt come out yet, but dead matter hasnt come out yet and already looks great with the dev vlogs., better than dayz imo.

the devs have come a long way so far, and their work shows for it. game is going for more of a pve feel, with most of the community wanting to do so as well, thats how you know it has a good chance of success. i feel this game with be a sleeper-hit, but thats just meh.

It's become incredibly apparent, at least to me, that Dead Matter has a good chance at finally providing the experience of a "3D project zomboid" or a "Walking Dead survival" game that the zombie survival genre has needed for so long, and this alone will set it apart from the rest of the games in the genre.

Personally, I don't want anything revolutionary, I just want a 3D open world zombie game that's done right, for once. 

A large part of "done right", to me means avoiding an excessive focus on "make work", PvP and overly involved survival mechanics. 

Dead Matter seems to handle those aspects a lot better than DayZ or Scum, the fact that it has a realistic and detailed setting is a bonus.