Dead Matter
ATTENTION: Due to issues with the new forum update the custom theme has been disabled. The theme will return when all issues have been resolved.
Falka

Riot shields

Will there be riot shields.  They would provide good defense and imagine a group of players forming a line with riot shields equipped pushing back zombies.

Interesting idea, seems slightly impractical. It's heavy and would use a lot of energy to use, and zombies could probably still reach around it. Interested to hear what other people say.

3 hours ago, Skals said:

Interesting idea, seems slightly impractical. It's heavy and would use a lot of energy to use, and zombies could probably still reach around it. Interested to hear what other people say.

I think your thinking of a ballistic shield.  I referring to a transparent riot shield.

52YG72_AW01.jpg

I think a riot shield would be very handy to have in a game like this, with maybe an inability to reload your side arm or some other balance restriction alongside it. 

It would be very cool to be holding your injured friend over your shoulder with one arm and using a riot shield to push both of you through a horde to safety.

I'd hope they could eventually break and I'd hope there was a bashing mechanic with them so you could use them as a low-damage melee weapon to knock people or zombies back. Big support.

While the shield bash with an unconscious individual idea is interesting you are incorrect about the inability to reload as all shields have historically been attached to an individuals arm, not their hand. Therefore it is possible to reload any small arms with slightly longer load times relative to standard reload times. Just look up rainbow six siege players and see how well the shield operators work. 

While there are shields with a handle for shield techniques that benefit form fine motor control  the handhold is often optional and can be easily disengaged as it is a simple handhold. The only time a handhold would be necessary is for a heavy tower shield which would not appear in game due to their impracticality.

It it would be interesting to have round shields similar to what the Vikings use since they are fairly simple to make, have a wide surface area to defend and light so they would not be a serious burden to have equipped 

Thanks for the correction. I don't know much about weapons or defenses, I was just keeping in mind game mechanics and game balances.

In full support. Seeing their practicality in 28 days later, I would be a valuable asset. Being able to keep yourself from getting bitten while also retaining mobility and being able to see whatever is beyond the glass, compared to say, relying on a wall to separate you from the zombies. 

That being said, Bulletproof shields would work too. I'd imagine you only get a smaller view port, plus the ability to soak up some ballistic damage, but compared to the riot counterpart it wouldn't make you as mobile as you're comparing Steel/Kevlar against Plexiglas/Plastic. 

Completed with riot Armour it would be arguably more effective against the crazed dead. (as they where more designed against kinetic damage/bruising)

I know this was simulated in the game "Dead state".

In short I feel both Propper Shields and improvised shields (like bin lids) would be a welcome addition and could prove useful in holding corridors.

yes those riot shields would be very fun, especially if we can carry spears (roman pilum) along side to recreate the Legions 😈 . zombies/players with melee weapons running right at you, well timed pila throws could make for a deadly encounter wiping out lines of zombies/people. they did say the game is more melee weapon orientated, which makes sense in the zombie apocalypse because ppl would stop making guns/bullets which results to ppl using more ancient warfare. just a thought.

Posted (edited)
On 2/21/2019 at 3:10 AM, GunsNGlue said:

While the shield bash with an unconscious individual idea is interesting you are incorrect about the inability to reload as all shields have historically been attached to an individuals arm, not their hand. Therefore it is possible to reload any small arms with slightly longer load times relative to standard reload times. Just look up rainbow six siege players and see how well the shield operators work. 

While there are shields with a handle for shield techniques that benefit form fine motor control  the handhold is often optional and can be easily disengaged as it is a simple handhold. The only time a handhold would be necessary is for a heavy tower shield which would not appear in game due to their impracticality.

It it would be interesting to have round shields similar to what the Vikings use since they are fairly simple to make, have a wide surface area to defend and light so they would not be a serious burden to have equipped 

well yes but actually no, see the riot shiel is strap to the arm but also need the hand to use it, so i think would be more logical that if you use a riot shield and reload your weapon you must loss partially the defense bonus and be more slow while reloading and with the viking shield you shouldnt be abble to reload since is just a handler in the midle of the shield but should give a bonus to one handed melee weapons.

medium-viking-shield-with-leather-exterior-4.jpg

riot-shield-police-hypershield_10753857.jpg

Edited by Dark_Sentinel