Dead Matter
ATTENTION: Due to issues with the new forum update the custom theme has been disabled. The theme will return when all issues have been resolved.
Gunschlinger

Post your Survivor AI suggestions here.

Posted (edited)

Hi! My name is Gunschlinger and i am the AI programmer for Dead Matter. One of my many tasks is to design and programm the Human / Bandit AI. I want to include the community as soon as possible and i would like to collect some suggestions for the AI. Please understand that i cant confirm / implement all features you guys might suggest. If you have any ideas on what the AI SHOULD do or act please let me know.

Have a wonderful day!

-Gunschlinger

Edited by Gunschlinger

- Make AI interact with houses, like go inside them, and walk around them

- Make some AI cry after their friend died or something has happened (must fit AI, maybe a woman?)

- Make prey birds eat trash, food and pieces of rotting meat off the ground

- Make it so AI can put out a tent, campfire and cook food for himself and other AI around

- Make it so players get to see AI getting attacked by zombies and killed

Definitely should setup ambushes. Hide in closets in homes or behind things where the player can't see them and then they attack player at random.   How about a random chance when a player is looting a house the Bandit's also come into the same house running around looking for player.

What if there were random human AI that hide in houses. If you go into the house they are in they set off a trap that will block you in and an alarm to attract a zombie horde while they get away.

It should be a trap you can break down with your hands, but if you don't do it fast enough there could be zombies bearing down on your location.

Posted (edited)

1: Add an option to injure the Bandits, so they will try to run alway or hide if they are alone and badly damaged, so, if he is injured and all members of his group are dead, he will ask for clemency. 
If you wait a little bit, he will try to attack you again or comite suicide!

So make tons of different dialogues or suicide animations. Some suicides can be like kamikase using granade.

2: Bandits groups like the game S.t.a.l.k.e.r. They will make a campfire, sit and play guitar and sing. ❤️ 

3:  If you manage to get close to a group of bandits without being detected, you will hear them talking to each other. Telling jokes among themselves or talk about things they have seen.

4: In a combat, they will insult you like angry kids playing fortnite! (?)

Edited by EduInmigrante

Posted (edited)

I'd like to see passive AI survivors barricaded in their prefab homes or generally looking for loot in the city. Maybe the player could give them supplies just for the sake of helping them or trade.

Edited by Ephos

I'd like the AI to feel like they're really humans.

Make them interact with the world, I wanna see them hunting, looting, fighting off zombies, reinforcing their base, etc. I'd like to see them being emotional over one's death.

The worst thing that could happen is them KOS real players, that doesn't feel natural, in real life bandits would probably threaten you, rob you, but not shoot you on sight. Also trading with them would be awesome, maybe some bandits can give more advantageous offers than others.

Also I'd love if various groups of bandits or survivors knew each other, for example say I go to a survivor and ask him for some meds, he might answer "I don't have meds, those bastards over the hill robbed me of everything!". 

A quest could be a group of bandits that ask you to sabotage other bandits, something like this, I want NPCs that feel real and interact with the world and each others.

Also a really nice addition would be a kind of reputation system with bandits.

For example if me and my settlement don't treat some bandits right, say we shoot at them on sight, it'd be really cool if that group of bandits gets mad at us, and attacks our base.

On the other hand, if you trade pretty often with a group, help them with some quests and etc, they might like you more and more and give you more advantageous offers when trading, help you killing some zombies maybe, etc.

Bandit AI could make patrols in the city with loot and guns on them, and the players could attack them because even the bandits have no mercy. But like the patrols are completely random , they would be more active in the cities.

Posted (edited)

make the ai drag there injured or dead friend away its a feature that's in the forest and it really makes them kind of human would be epic to a bandit dragging a friend to safety in a firefight

the could also just help there friend medical or mourning or taking stuff from him that they need this would be epic if it could occur in Firefights because it would really give it a human touch people make weird decisions sometimes in the dangerous situations 

Edited by Djenco

That can be cool to see the AI factions interact themself, seeing bandit killed or stole other AI. And the player can break this intercation and try to help one of the faction IA (and gain reputation (the reputation for more immersion need to be hide) about the faction you help). We need to have interaction with the AI world (It's really important for single player experience) and why not having a sort of hierarchy into the AI faction. In fact all of this think is not priority, but realy important for the game.  If you need more info about that they are the homepageof the site who speak verry well about the AI objective

Taking credit from Vitka on this one, but I like the idea of neutral survivors becoming aggravated and eventually hostile if you watch them too closely while they're doing something, like trying to break into a building to scavenge. They could give a couple of warnings telling the player to screw off and leave them alone, before becoming hostile if the player refuses to leave. 

And raising your weapon to them also making any survivor hostile, or possibly run away in fear. 

This is not so general, but could really add to the storyelement of the game. Have an old man go fishing in a rural area almost every day, and when he sees you he asks you politely to leave by saying something like "please leave", he will start to walk, and if you follow, later run away from the lake into the forest. As he starts running he will start to be more harsh when asking you to leave. At the end he will start to sob and say "please leave, i don't want to hurt you". He will then arrive at his lonely cabin in the woods and if you tresspass or enters his house, the man will become hostile and try to kill you while sobbing and crying, screaming "i am sorry, i am so sorry". 

If you manage to kill him you find a small notebook on him telling a story about how he and his wife was living peacefully by themeselves up in the woods, and how the only contact they had with the world, were when one of their grandchildren came to visit. It's importent to espress that they didn't need anyone else because they really loved eachother. At some point their grandson stops visiting and power and phone stops working. the man we just killed decided to walk to the nearest time to get in contact with his grandson/granddaughter, but as he enters the city he sees everything is wrong, and he then hurries back to the cabin with his wife.

The next thing we can read about in the notebook is how a zombie wanders to their home, but the man and woman don't really know what is going on and see the zombie as a badly hurt, lost little girl, and instinctly tries to help. The mans wife is the first to help and as she gets to the girl, she attacks his wife. The man gets the to seperated and flees to their cabin with his wife. They lock themeselves in with the girl banging on the door. Later the wife dies from infection and fever and turns. The man has to kill his wife, and in anger kills the girl aswell. As he is done he thinks he murdered the girl and is therfore sad. You can find 2 graves behind the house.

Posted (edited)

The first thing that comes to mind with bandits are ambushes. It would be cool to see them camping roads and setting up road block traps or camping a building, waiting for you to come in. These Ai shouldn't just start shooting though. They should attempt to rob you first and maybe even let you go if you comply. An example of how the robbing could maybe work is one bandit comes up to "interact" with you while the rest surround you with guns. You could have the option to interact with the bandit and give him a minimum amount of loot or fight back within a certain time limit. However, it could be interesting to just be ambushed and attacked without being robbed, but the first few bandit shots should be near misses or maybe some sort of battle cry in order to signal the start of the ambush event. Also, bandit dialogue/phrases would be a nice touch.

Edited by Camander928

Make the AI tell a story.

Make them weep over dead friends and companions or let them have a good time around a fireplace with smores and stories from old times. Give them a persnality. 

Bandit AI shouldn’t be KOS. Especially when to comes to things like looting, they should give you some kind of warning and only attack if you don’t keep a certain distance, comply with commands (putting weapons away, giving them supplies) or if you attack/threaten them first.

I'd like to see survivors "break" and flee from combat where the odds are clearly against them, depending on context.

Realistically, folks in survival situations where outside assistance and decent medical attention are unlikely, and a single wound may result in a drawn out death, tend to be fairly risk adverse unless there's a lot at stake.

Lots of very good suggestions in here. At this point i cant confirm any of the features yet. Also please keep in mind that the AI is supposed to be fun to play against they are not real humans

Bandits or hostile AI should make raid attempts on your base, maybe some try and take a stealthy approach (lockpicks on your door). That would increase the value of having allied AI protecting your base, also if you post up survivors to defend your base it would be cool if they didn’t wait until they were inside as long as you gave them the signal to attack or they got shot through the window or something.

Posted (edited)

Make the AI get pissed off when you flip them off lol

(Edit: react to gestures the player makes)

Edited by Devilish

Hi there,

First of all, I'm happy this thread is a thingie now!

As for my personal suggestion, try to make factions react to what the player has done for/against other factions the AI may be allied/related to:

IE: Cannibals are friends with a Saviour group (They kill the good guys) and the Saviours provide the cannibals with "food" (Human meat - ew) in exchange of supplies/guns.

If the player messes with the related factions, both will Kill on Sight.

Same goes for positive outcomes, such as the Farmer group, which the player may donate some seeds to grow crops will provide in exchange a "You're an ally" letter for a faction that wasn't so friendly to them prior because of trust issues.

These are just examples but I think these small details really make the game feel lively and give the player the sense that their actions have a bigger impact on the world, which makes the experience a whole lot more complex and rich.

Keep adding suggestions guys, these are really good! :)