Dead Matter
ATTENTION: Due to issues with the new forum update the custom theme has been disabled. The theme will return when all issues have been resolved.
Gunschlinger

Post your Survivor AI suggestions here.

This isn't necessarily about behaviour, but please make them vocal. Make them shout when hurt or when killed, make them insult you while fighting them. It would help immersion A LOT

Just like some people will commit suicide, others will go completely crazy. Perhaps they will even strip completely naked (or not) and run through the streets screaming, trying to get the attention of as many zombies as possible. Then, once they see you, they run towards you in an attempt to tackle and hold you on the ground while many, many zombies tear y'all apart. The kamikaze A.I. would be very loud, so you'd likely hear them before they see you. Now, you can prepare to fight, or hide, and watch them run by with a horde, or maybe watch them attack another player or A.I. 

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 9:13 PM, TuckTuckonTwitch said:

I’ve made this suggestion to other devs and have seen it introduced properly. AI shouldn’t always be in terminator mode. What I mean by this is it would be nice to see AI fucking off to a point. Have them leaning against a wall smoking a cig, joking around, sleeping/dozing off, and interacting with their environment. I know some will say this is excessive but it kills the immersion. No one ever is “kill mode” all the time. It won’t be game breaking if it’s not added but it seems like you all are going above and beyond on a lot of core features. It will be nice to see that type of dedication in the AI system too.

This should definitely be a thing!

On 5/23/2019 at 10:37 AM, tomGsKillinZombies said:

Just like some people will commit suicide, others will go completely crazy. Perhaps they will even strip completely naked (or not) and run through the streets screaming, trying to get the attention of as many zombies as possible. Then, once they see you, they run towards you in an attempt to tackle and hold you on the ground while many, many zombies tear y'all apart. The kamikaze A.I. would be very loud, so you'd likely hear them before they see you. Now, you can prepare to fight, or hide, and watch them run by with a horde, or maybe watch them attack another player or A.I. 

This is a brilliant idea.

so here is my suggestion.

what if you added a feature that survivor A.I.s would be more likely to try and loot a house depending on how fortified it is, so if the house looks like just a regular house you would be less likely to have high level survivors try to loot your base, regular houses would get looters and scavengers. houses that you can tell are fortified from the outside would get more looters and scavengers and a few teams of raiders. and fortresses would get huge teams of enemy's trying to take that base. but things like traps would have little to no change in how difficult the raids are. maybe even NPC population in your base would effect the severity of raids.

so that's just my suggestion

On 5/11/2019 at 10:13 PM, TuckTuckonTwitch said:

I’ve made this suggestion to other devs and have seen it introduced properly. AI shouldn’t always be in terminator mode. What I mean by this is it would be nice to see AI fucking off to a point. Have them leaning against a wall smoking a cig, joking around, sleeping/dozing off, and interacting with their environment. I know some will say this is excessive but it kills the immersion. No one ever is “kill mode” all the time. It won’t be game breaking if it’s not added but it seems like you all are going above and beyond on a lot of core features. It will be nice to see that type of dedication in the AI system too.

I think this would also make other player less "in terminator mode" too, because, if not all AIs attack them, players would feel less agressive to other AIs and other Players.

I feel like having enemy bandits set up realistic ambushes sounds nice, for example one AI NPC could be holding his side asking for help saying he is hurt, if the player decided to go and help him, other bandits would appear from house windows and behind cover to ambush the player. On the other hand there could be a chance that helping that NPC would actually make them grateful and they AI would give you loot as a reward or possibly information.

Proper COUNTER-PLAY to AI would be amazing... similar to a metal gear-esque alert level system, with variances: "passive", "intrigued", "Alerted", "Scared", "Angry", "Surrendered" with different behaviours and reactions tied to them. For examples; [Passive] if the player is completely undetected, or friendly to the NPC sub-group the AI acts passively, looting/scavenging, walking around, talking to each other and following a "routine" in their settlement. [Intrigued] while not alerted or hostile, they actively investigate sources of noise/commotion and act accordingly (one or two zombies they move to eliminate the threat as quietly as possible to prevent alerting more). [Alerted] they are aware of your presence or the presence of a threat (Horde) and react according to their chance of success (low chance of success, they flee, high chance of success they engage). [Scared] a sub-group of Alerted, they are injured, out of ammo, or alerted rapidly to your presence through a show of force (You ambush them/their group and fire first, or use a flashbang, they generally cower/retreat to cover/attempt to flee). [Angry] The AI is alerted to your presence and you have refused their request or injured one of their group, when ambushing AI, some will be angry, others scared (variance within groups) depending on tactics, {a flashbang would scare the shit out of a whole group, as they are distracted, and disoriented and figure they have a 0% chance of success}. [Surrendered] when an AI controlled NPC enters the "Surrendered" state they will drop their weapons and put their hands up (VS player) or simply drop to the ground on their knees in fatigue to be overcome by infected/zombies (low chance but a sad encounter to witness). Scared, Angry and Surrender states could be generated per-member of the small groups of AI NPCs you come across and engage, when issuing a show of force over low-geared survivors they'd be more inclined to surrender for self-preservation IMHO. Assigning a "Gear Rating" to the equipment the AI have and rolling that against the player's "Gear Rating" with some variance for flavour would be a good way to encourage variance and flavour in encounters.

Posted (edited)

Personality Types

Different AI will have different personality types dictating their responses such as fight or flight, passivity or hostility and trustworthiness or likelihood to trust others.

For example, a hostile personality will increase the chance of that character committing aggressive acts, and make the relation level requirement much higher in order to form trust and persuade this character. An untrustworthy character would relay false information if relations are not high enough such as misdirecting players into traps or dangerous areas, or acting kind towards the player but harbouring sinister intentions.

Relations

Relations encompasses trust and friendliness between a player and AI

Players can form personal relations with specific AI by acts of kindness or running errands or quests for said AI. A certain relation level with a certain AI will create trust and friendliness between the AI and the player meaning the AI will defend the player if they are both attacked, and more diplomatic or persuasive options or commands will be available to the player. For example, if the relations with an AI are high enough, the player can command the AI to do things that the AI would otherwise refuse to do, such as asking the AI about the whereabouts of certain other AI who is renowned, if they've seen any bandits in the area, or answering certain queries such as these but not limited to.

Edited by Arbiter