• Attention: We are currently experiencing some issues with our emailing system. This may cause validation emails to not be sent, preventing some users from finishing registration. We apologize for the inconveince that this may cause, and are working to resolve it as soon as possible.

Development Vlog 11

Onyx

Senior Moderator
@Dinkleburg Closed Alpha release coming this June, with a more exact date to be given at the beginning of that month. Early Access is currently estimated to come at the beginning of 2021.

acrosome

Yes, you're free to host your own server at no charge, server files will be made available day 1.
I'm unfamiliar with the convention- does "day 1" mean the closed alpha (doubtful), the open alpha, actual release, or what?

Vlog #11 was generally awesome, and obviously designed to allay some fears, for instance no fog. And the vehicle inventory system is great.

I love the implementation of caches, and basing them around 5-gallon buckets to avoid terrain deformation was inspired. Hopefully the buckets aren't all white, since that would stand out with the lids being visible like that. (Then again another common bucket (in the US) are the orange ones from Home Depot, which might be worse.) Being able to paint or camouflage the bucket lids would be helpful. Presumably people will hide them under bushes. And I'm kind of wondering how that will work on a slope; if the lid gets at least partially clipped into the terrain it might make them easier to hide from looters.

I do hope that the player name flags only appear when you are very close. Otherwise that'll clutter the screen up something awful. And I still officially vote "no" for team-mate markers. Check your targets!

The gore system seems wrong. When you shoot someone in the chest their chest shouldn't shred. There should be a tiny entrance hole, and the exit hole in the back should be larger. Likewise, if you shoot someone in the face the bullet hole should be small, but the back of their head should blow out. Etc. Mind you, terminal ballistics does result in weird stuff sometimes- and I've seen more than one failed shotgun suicide with no face- but as a general rule this should hold true.

I tried to pay attention to rendering distances for bushes, grass, and such things. Disappointingly, it looks like there will be issues with easy spotting at long distances. (See the M14 display starting at 2:50.) When I'm in a field and get shot at my instinct is to go prone in the grass, but if my attacker is far enough away the grass doesn't render and all I have done is give him an immobile target. Grr. But that's really a technical limitation, I guess- all FPS games have it. I do keep hoping, though. I'm more of a marksman than a CQB fighter (IRL and in games) so I worry about such things. Short rendering distances can certainly help snipers, by making long range spotting easier, but can also hinder them. For one, easy long-range spotting cuts both ways, making it harder to hide- you have to get in the habit of using trees and other long-rendering objects rather than bushes and grass clumps. And doing keyhole shots through objects like junked cars can be very effective. But OTOH a long-range shot can be stopped by a hard object that didn't render- this happens all the damned time in Ghost Recon: Breakpoint, with the air handling units on roofs, railings, etc.

Last edited:

Gunschlinger

Developer
I'm unfamiliar with the convention- does "day 1" mean the closed alpha (doubtful), the open alpha, actual release, or what?

Vlog #11 was generally awesome, and obviously designed to allay some fears, for instance no fog. And the vehicle inventory system is great.

I love the implementation of caches, and basing them around 5-gallon buckets to avoid terrain deformation was inspired. Hopefully the buckets aren't all white, since that would stand out with the lids being visible like that. (Then again another common bucket (in the US) are the orange ones from Home Depot, which might be worse.) Being able to paint or camouflage the bucket lids would be helpful. Presumably people will hide them under bushes. And I'm kind of wondering how that will work on a slope; if the lid gets at least partially clipped into the terrain it might make them easier to hide from looters.

I do hope that the player name flags only appear when you are very close. Otherwise that'll clutter the screen up something awful. And I still officially vote "no" for team-mate markers. Check your targets!

The gore system seems wrong. When you shoot someone in the chest their chest shouldn't shred. There should be a tiny entrance hole, and the exit hole in the back should be larger. Likewise, if you shoot someone in the face the bullet hole should be small, but the back of their head should blow out. Etc. Mind you, terminal ballistics does result in weird stuff sometimes- and I've seen more than one failed shotgun suicide with no face- but as a general rule this should hold true.

I tried to pay attention to rendering distances for bushes, grass, and such things. Disappointingly, it looks like there will be issues with easy spotting at long distances. (See the M14 display starting at 2:50.) When I'm in a field and get shot at my instinct is to go prone in the grass, but if my attacker is far enough away the grass doesn't render and all I have done is give him an immobile target. Grr. But that's really a technical limitation, I guess- all FPS games have it. I do keep hoping, though. I'm more of a marksman than a CQB fighter (IRL and in games) so I worry about such things. Short rendering distances can certainly help snipers, by making long range spotting easier, but can also hinder them. For one, easy long-range spotting cuts both ways, making harder to hide- you have to get in the habit of using tress and other long-rendering objects rather than bushes and grass clumps. And doing keyhole shots through objects like junked cars can be very effective. But OTOH a long-range shot can be stopped by a hard object that didn't render- this happens all the damned time in Ghost Recon: Breakpoint, with the air handling units on roofs, railings, etc.
The gore in deadmatter is inspired by l4d. Rn the gore looks a bit broken as its still a work in progress. But we definitly dont go for realism in the gore department

Top Bottom