Future VR support

6H0ST

I love this game, and the developers dedication/ talent takes my breath away. That being said, I do have a question for developers. If this game turns out to be a huge success, will it be realistically possible for a VR mode or mini game to be added to the game?

Qbasic8

I am suspecting no. A regular game scale sizing is whatever you create it to be. When you move to VR everything has to be scaled to realistic sizes. That would be a huge pain to convert to VR after a game is created that was never meant for it.

JohnH2005

I am suspecting no. A regular game scale sizing is whatever you create it to be. When you move to VR everything has to be scaled to realistic sizes. That would be a huge pain to convert to VR after a game is created that was never meant for it.
This is no longer true. And has not been for a while now. Unless these guys went out of their way to NOT build stuff to a scale, then it could very easily be converted to a VR game.

Default character height is 180uu or 180cm (in real world it comes to about 6ft). UU = Unreal Units
Average wall height is 300uu (9.8ft):
Wall Depth (thickness): 10-20uu
Door Height: 210-230uu
Door Width: 110-140uu

These are numbers that are quite commonly used. As long as they stuck to something like that, the world will be "to scale" for VR.

6H0ST

I think the real challenge would be coding the UI aspects and connections to the game's normal functionality through VR controls. Also optimization of the VR headset's performance impact on the computer. I'd definitely like to see the devs get in this thread if they have the time haha.

Qbasic8

Don't get me wrong, it can be done . DCS World added VR support for Oculus and it looks beautiful! Bet it was a real challenge to do though. That would be a pain with UI in regards to VR when the current system would be setup for screen space. Keeping 60+ fps in VR with an MMO would be a challenge. I made small samples for Oculus Dev Kit 1.0, and just a small bit of latency caused extreme motion sickness. Having 80 people on a server... Puke fest....

Qbasic8

This is no longer true. And has not been for a while now. Unless these guys went out of their way to NOT build stuff to a scale, then it could very easily be converted to a VR game.

Default character height is 180uu or 180cm (in real world it comes to about 6ft). UU = Unreal Units
Average wall height is 300uu (9.8ft):
Wall Depth (thickness): 10-20uu
Door Height: 210-230uu
Door Width: 110-140uu

These are numbers that are quite commonly used. As long as they stuck to something like that, the world will be "to scale" for VR.
But that is just speculating they stayed with standard units... :) As mentioned, would be awesome just to hear a dev mention it.

Lyca

Junior Moderator
VR-Support won't be a thing as they would need to re-do everything. Sorry ;)

Top Bottom