Is backing worth it? Do any backers regret their decision?

Is backing worth it?

• Total voters

Odin

I'm brand new to this community and i understand this may look pretty negative, but that's not the reasoning for this post.

My brother just put me on to Dead Matter and i binged all of the Development vlogs. Personally i can see a pretty sick game and clear progress during the development cycle, the game looks great and i'm excited to play it.

Though is backing worth it?

As I've also seen that the Alpha has been pushed back a lot which isn't a bad thing, it's just there have been some games that I've seen never reach release.
So for current backers, is it worth it? Has there been any info on the Alpha launch? I would absolutely love to back this game as I've never had the chance to do so before and I'd love to help development anyway i can, but i don't want to donate right now for the game not release for another year or two or three.

Again, the game looks great, and i wish the Dev team the best of luck during development and release.

Bourgmestre

Backer
backing a project (video game or not) is more about supporting an idea, a project or a team rather than buying something.

To me, if i've backed Dead Matter, it's because this is an indie project that i believe will kick the nuts of the videogame industry in a good way by providing a quality product that can finaly rehabilitate the survival zombie genre (it won't be a joke anymore)

Zom2D2

Backer
I'm voting Yes, but mainly because the other option seems like I'd be complaining about things that I'm not going to. I haven't played the game yet, and I know that CA might get pushed back again, but the dev team seems to be making great progress and seem to care about people giving feedback or their ideas, etc.

I have purchased multiple packages. I like all the ideas they have, and if it ends up where the game never comes out, I'll be upset, sure...but we have to give them a chance, and I'd rather fail with them than think that they won't succeed and therefore not even try.

It's dangerous territory. I dropped a good sum on H1Z1 as well, because of the Survival aspect...and when they broke the game into two, I thought it was weird, but maybe it'd be better, because the players that wanted an arena battleground game would finally leave the survival players alone...

...and then they just shut down the survival aspect altogether. *lol*. They took my money and ran, man. But I've still got great memories playing that game. I wish I hadn't spent so much, but I still had fun while it lasted...

And that's the point. It's hard to put value on backing anything, because it might not ever be. I don't want to miss my opportunity to help, though, and I sure as hell don't want to miss out on the incentives.

Odin

I'm voting Yes, but mainly because the other option seems like I'd be complaining about things that I'm not going to. I haven't played the game yet, and I know that CA might get pushed back again, but the dev team seems to be making great progress and seem to care about people giving feedback or their ideas, etc.

I have purchased multiple packages. I like all the ideas they have, and if it ends up where the game never comes out, I'll be upset, sure...but we have to give them a chance, and I'd rather fail with them than think that they won't succeed and therefore not even try.

It's dangerous territory. I dropped a good sum on H1Z1 as well, because of the Survival aspect...and when they broke the game into two, I thought it was weird, but maybe it'd be better, because the players that wanted an arena battleground game would finally leave the survival players alone...

...and then they just shut down the survival aspect altogether. *lol*. They took my money and ran, man. But I've still got great memories playing that game. I wish I hadn't spent so much, but I still had fun while it lasted...

And that's the point. It's hard to put value on backing anything, because it might not ever be. I don't want to miss my opportunity to help, though, and I sure as hell don't want to miss out on the incentives.
Ahh okay, good points. Has there been any news on when the Alpha will drop?

Odin

backing a project (video game or not) is more about supporting an idea, a project or a team rather than buying something.

To me, if i've backed Dead Matter, it's because this is an indie project that i believe will kick the nuts of the videogame industry in a good way by providing a quality product that can finaly rehabilitate the survival zombie genre (it won't be a joke anymore)
Understandable, the development has been impressive.

Odin

yep me to 。 played h1z1 for 2000 hours, and I invested a lot of money, until the developer ran away. The same thing happened
yep me to 。 played h1z1 for 2000 hours, and I invested a lot of money, until the developer ran away. The same thing happened
That sucks, these devs seem like they are in it for the long haul though.

Dog

Personally, I believe that the devs are going to come through for us in amazing ways, and that was my original reason for backing.

The Closed Alpha has been delayed a LOT- that much is true, and although this could be seen as a poor decision, or a shady one (depending on how you look at it), they have proven to the community time and time again that they are delaying it because they want a beautiful first impression for us, and don't want external factors to play a role in it either.

At this moment, I'd say it's easily a very opinionated decision- I backed because I support small game devs, and this lot didn't seem like that "corporate" bottom line type, which brings me immense hope for the future of this game.

Odin

Personally, I believe that the devs are going to come through for us in amazing ways, and that was my original reason for backing.

The Closed Alpha has been delayed a LOT- that much is true, and although this could be seen as a poor decision, or a shady one (depending on how you look at it), they have proven to the community time and time again that they are delaying it because they want a beautiful first impression for us, and don't want external factors to play a role in it either.

At this moment, I'd say it's easily a very opinionated decision- I backed because I support small game devs, and this lot didn't seem like that "corporate" bottom line type, which brings me immense hope for the future of this game.
That's true, within each dev vlog the progress is clearly shown. I like the way it's going, i'll admit I'm leaning more toward backing than not.

Dog

That's true, within each dev vlog the progress is clearly shown. I like the way it's going, i'll admit I'm leaning more toward backing than not.
Exactly- it would be a MUCH different story if they were the kind of devs to be very hush about progress, but by demonstrating to the community that progress is being made and that delays =/= delays in content being implemented they have been able to keep in the good graces of everyone.

Odin

Exactly- it would be a MUCH different story if they were the kind of devs to be very hush about progress, but by demonstrating to the community that progress is being made and that delays =/= delays in content being implemented they have been able to keep in the good graces of everyone.
True, getting excited about this now.

By any chance do you know if the Alpha will be a timed event? or do you reckon the game will be released in an Alpha state and updated from there?

This is the first Alpha i would be participating in so i don't know much about it.

Dog

By any chance do you know if the Alpha will be a timed event? or do you reckon the game will be released in an Alpha state and updated from there?

This is the first Alpha i would be participating in so i don't know much about it.
Same here man!

As for the timed event bit, it probably is- but that is likely just because the game will move into other phases, such as an open alpha, or a closed beta/open beta. The game will officially release on Steam sometime in early 2021, so I figure before then they'll want to get plenty of alpha testing done, so they can stomp bugs.

Just_D3nn1s

Backer

The only issue i see is something like EFT where i have been playing for the past 3 years, and it's just now in "Beta". Yes they are making updates to the game but at some point you do get kind of burned out. So i think that giving people a taste, maybe like 30 days or sometime to build tons of hype around it and leave people STARVING for it.

However EFT is still extremely successful and it isn't "released yet", however it gives the Devs kinda a bad mindset by making them have BIG issues and being like "Its in beta". (Not saying that's going to happen here its just and example.)

Odin

Same here man!

As for the timed event bit, it probably is- but that is likely just because the game will move into other phases, such as an open alpha, or a closed beta/open beta. The game will officially release on Steam sometime in early 2021, so I figure before then they'll want to get plenty of alpha testing done, so they can stomp bugs.
Ah okay, thanks for the info!
The only issue i see is something like EFT where i have been playing for the past 3 years, and it's just now in "Beta". Yes they are making updates to the game but at some point you do get kind of burned out. So i think that giving people a taste, maybe like 30 days or sometime to build tons of hype around it and leave people STARVING for it.

However EFT is still extremely successful and it isn't "released yet", however it gives the Devs kinda a bad mindset by making them have BIG issues and being like "Its in beta". (Not saying that's going to happen here its just and example.)
Agreed. PUBG was in the same situation, game was in Beta for so long i forgot about it until they announced it was coming out of Beta.

There's a decent chance of success, just hope they can keep it fresh though i have high hopes.

JohnH2005

Backer
You really can't compare a bunch of secretive A-hole Russian dev's to these guys. I think King Potato has gotten a big head from all of the streamers kissing his ass and really has no idea what he wants to do any more.

Back on Topic. I do not care if these guys ever even release the CA. They have a dream and they are living it. I gave them some money to support their dream. I hope it works out for them. If I never get anything other than the satisfaction of helping one person live their dream I am good with that.

Top Bottom