Suggest a Quest

AHAPPYBEAR

Maybe a quest based around ruining or stealing supplies, or even weapons of a faction. The result could be that faction being less equipped, or maybe causing some NPCs to leave the faction altogether which would cause the faction NPCs to move in smaller groups.

NeganWalker

Quest line: Fargo your problems

Gaear's Woodchipper has become jammed, he needs you to help clear the jam, then the power goes out gather fuel, then he wants you to assist him.

Objective 1: Find something to push the remaining zombie parts through the wood chipper
Objective 2: Locate fuel for the generator to power the chipper
Objective 3: Wrangle a zombie using the pool cleaner net(or something similar) and lead him over to Gaear, so he can mulch the zombie.

Inspired by the Fargo movie, note need for pancake reference not included.

Maeharaprojekt

Snackos for ZomZom

A side-quest for [reasons].
Inpired by @JohnH2005 to turn my comment from a different thread into a quest.

"Oh! Who's a liddle cutie? Who's my mindless bitey-bug? You are! Yes, you are! Does ZomZom wanna snackums? Here, over here, ZomZom! Dada's got a fresh raider for you! See? I even left their head intact just for you! Snackos, ZomZom!" - unknown survivor, circa 2025 CE.
In the area near an NPC village, the players might overhear locals speak of a strange but powerful protector. A defender who appears suddenly out of the night or during twilight, and quickly stops bandits, slavers, and cannibals. The mysterious benefactor disappears as quickly and only when the village is under threat. The area around it does not receive the same protection.

When the players enter the NPC village, they may have an encounter that leads to a side-quest.

If the players ask around about a mysterious protector, or if they explore the village, they will eventually meet a young girl, named Sally. The players find her outside of a 2-room hut, reading what appear to be pre-apocalypse science texts. She is approximately 10 years old and sits in a well-kept camp chair. Sally will interact politely with the players and will eventually explain why the raiders stay away from the village. A seemingly tame zombie that she calls, “ZomZom,” protects her. By extension, the entire village is protected as well. ZomZom has never attacked her or anyone else in living inside the village. He also never attacks any citizen who is wounded or sick. Everyone in the village will confirm this and speak kindly, but sadly, of ZomZom.

The players can learn that ZomZom was Sally’s guardian before he was infected. He was a village guard named Tom. Several years ago, Tom had discovered the wreckage of a trader caravan while on patrol. It had been attacked by raiders who used firearms and IEDs. Nearly everyone had been killed. Some of the victims were missing limbs or had been eaten where they fell; either the raiders were cannibalistic, or the wrecked caravan was later scavenged by predators or regular cannibals. The only survivor was an infant, hidden by her parents and miraculously overlooked by both the raiders and scavengers. Tom rescued the infant girl and named her, “Sally.” He adopted her and raised her as a daughter. The family of two was well-loved by the other villagers. Sally is learning science and medicine; she wishes to become a doctor and help people.

A few years ago, Tom became infected. For some reason, Tom did not attack any of his former neighbors, friends, or family. Amazingly, the newly turned zombie was very protective of Sally and seemed to understand that the other villagers were safe to be around the girl. The villagers were unnerved and fearful, but didn’t know what to do. With Sally’s help, they led Tom back to the hut he shared with Sally and locked him in his room until they could figure out what to do with him.

A week later, inspiration came in the form of a bandit attack on the village.

When the bandits raided the village, Tom seemed to detect them from his locked room. Sally could hear that he was agitated. She had sealed herself inside a makeshift panic-room that abutted their hut, against one wall of Tom’s room. As the raid progressed, one of their close friends screamed out in anguish when a spear impaled her husband. Next, Sally could hear a sudden crack and then utter silence.

When the zombified Tom heard the scream, he shattered the lock to his door and came out of the hut like a heat-seeking missile. The former guard ran directly at the bandits, striking powerfully with his fists or makeshift clubs, and causing mayhem among the attackers. With his aid, the villagers defeated the raiders, killing all of them during the battle. Afterward, Tom was found sitting on the head of a bandit, quietly munching on the hand of another. With Sally’s help, the villagers lead the zombie back to his room. Sally changed his name to, “ZomZom,” and he has continued to help the villagers defend against further raids. ZomZom will even defeat roaming bandits that stray too close to the village.

After additional interaction with Sally, the players learn that ZomZom must feed periodically on the dead or he weakens and seems to fall into a stupor. The players may accept a side-quest to find and slay 10 raiders as quickly as possible, and then bring each intact body back to ZomZom.

• The time-frame for completion might be 1 to 3 hours.
  • The developers will decide what the reward for successfully completing the quest will be.
  • At the time of death, each raider's head must remain attached to their body.
  • After death, a bandit corpse that is dismembered any further will not be accepted.
  • The player does not have to wait to find and return the next raider while ZomZom consumes each offering, but he will immediately reject any raider body that does not have a head or has received significant damage after death.
  • ZomZom will not consume more than a single bandit at a time but will pause for a few seconds to inspect each new offering
  • ZomZom can somehow tell the difference between bandit bodies and those of peaceful people. He will not consume any dead person who is not a bandit. Player bodies will be acceptable only if they have recently performed banditry.

GloriousBanana

Hi guys!

We've implemented a new Questing system and we would love to hear your feedback on what sort of quests that we should be implementing. We're going to detail how the system works so that you guys can make informed and detailed suggestions, this is the first of many suggestion threads to come for our backers and community especially now that we are moving closer to our Closed Alpha launch.

Please note that we're happy to fill in the blanks and give feedback on what can and cannot be done, simply reply to this thread with your question and I'll be happy to give you an answer as soon as possible.

EDIT: It appears we're still having issues with our emailing system and I'm trying to make sure that gets fixed asap.

Quests

Quests from a technical perspective are a collection of objectives with the Quest itself defining how the objectives are utilized and what order they are completed in. Here are the general rules of thumb that you can follow.

Quests dictate the order that objectives need to be completed in, for example you can have a quest where objectives have to be completed in a linear manner.

Objective #1 -> Objective #2 -> Objective #3

You can also have multiple objectives per "stage" in a Quest.

Objective #1 & Objective #2 -> Objective #3 -> Objective #4 & Objective #5

You can also have branching objectives.

Objective #1 -> Objective #2 OR Objective #3

Objective #2 -> Objective A -> Objective C
Objective #3 -> Objective B -> Objective D

You can also have optional objectives that are triggered by the completion of an Objective or is part of the initial set of Objectives.

Objectives

Objectives are small chunks of a Quest, these are essentially "goals" for the player to chase after. When suggesting a Quest, we ask that you stick to the current Objectives that are currently available. HOWEVER we don't want to completely limit creative freedom here, if there's something that you feel is simple then please go ahead and suggest what you've got. We're really enthusiastic about the potential for community involvement here.

Current Objectives:

Collect & Turn In Items - Specify a list of Items for the player to collect and return to the NPC that assigned the Quest. Completed upon items being returned.

Have Conversation - Completed by using a specific piece of dialogue with an NPC. This can get very flexible since there are skill and attribute checks that can be ran during dialogue. (IE: high charisma = lie about completing an objective).

Go To Location - Completed by visiting a location in the world.

Interact With X - Completed by interacting with any given interactable object, feel free to have a bit of creative freedom here.

Kill X - Completed by killing a player/NPC, can specify specific bones for the player to target and a quantity of kills. Can also specify weapon. (IE go kill 10 zombies with a fireaxe).
When this game launches, a lot of players would be in solo mode, right? So what do we solo players need is an Ai companion, specifically a woman. This would be better, maybe, after 2-3 hours of playing other objectives.(some players would get bored) so this objective would come up.

Objective one: Help a woman in distress. or man (if we could pick)
Objective two: Go 4 miles with the woman to make her take revenge on someone, maybe a bandit leader.
Objective three: Help her get home another 5 miles safely while conversation full of flirting.
Final stage: Take her home, she invited you in, the lit room became dark. (
Conversation interactions should be full of drama, to question and answer portion, to flirting, and the ability to command Ai to a defensive or silent, otherwise if she got killed there's no choice but to reset the game which I know some wouldn't mind. Lol!
Hi guys!

We've implemented a new Questing system and we would love to hear your feedback on what sort of quests that we should be implementing. We're going to detail how the system works so that you guys can make informed and detailed suggestions, this is the first of many suggestion threads to come for our backers and community especially now that we are moving closer to our Closed Alpha launch.

Please note that we're happy to fill in the blanks and give feedback on what can and cannot be done, simply reply to this thread with your question and I'll be happy to give you an answer as soon as possible.

EDIT: It appears we're still having issues with our emailing system and I'm trying to make sure that gets fixed asap.

Quests

Quests from a technical perspective are a collection of objectives with the Quest itself defining how the objectives are utilized and what order they are completed in. Here are the general rules of thumb that you can follow.

Quests dictate the order that objectives need to be completed in, for example you can have a quest where objectives have to be completed in a linear manner.

Objective #1 -> Objective #2 -> Objective #3

You can also have multiple objectives per "stage" in a Quest.

Objective #1 & Objective #2 -> Objective #3 -> Objective #4 & Objective #5

You can also have branching objectives.

Objective #1 -> Objective #2 OR Objective #3

Objective #2 -> Objective A -> Objective C
Objective #3 -> Objective B -> Objective D

You can also have optional objectives that are triggered by the completion of an Objective or is part of the initial set of Objectives.

Objectives

Objectives are small chunks of a Quest, these are essentially "goals" for the player to chase after. When suggesting a Quest, we ask that you stick to the current Objectives that are currently available. HOWEVER we don't want to completely limit creative freedom here, if there's something that you feel is simple then please go ahead and suggest what you've got. We're really enthusiastic about the potential for community involvement here.

Current Objectives:

Collect & Turn In Items - Specify a list of Items for the player to collect and return to the NPC that assigned the Quest. Completed upon items being returned.

Have Conversation - Completed by using a specific piece of dialogue with an NPC. This can get very flexible since there are skill and attribute checks that can be ran during dialogue. (IE: high charisma = lie about completing an objective).

Go To Location - Completed by visiting a location in the world.

Interact With X - Completed by interacting with any given interactable object, feel free to have a bit of creative freedom here.

Kill X - Completed by killing a player/NPC, can specify specific bones for the player to target and a quantity of kills. Can also specify weapon. (IE go kill 10 zombies with a fireaxe).
Edited:
Solo mode: [Main objective] It would really mean a lot if players would feel like a hero to someone in the game. I'm pretty sure I would play hundreds of hours on this.

Here's an idea of the game: After some accomplishments, when the player finished some objectives and became skilled enough with good attributes, right?

This objective would come:

Objective 1: [Hero heart] You found a young woman hiding inside comfort room of hospital, she's really in shocked and have not eaten for days. You fed her and found out her story that she was in a coma. Based on the note you found on missing person board, it was written by her parents asking for someone to check on her if she's still alive, which is why you found her. She was relieved when you told her that her family is still alive and went to a sanctuary somewhere. She asked if you could take her there, and so the mission starts:

So you make her follow you around while completing other side quests: During the first hours with her, it should make the game harder like for example, if she hears zombies around, she would ran and duck somewhere, or she's quite hard to command like if you say, "Follow me" and she doesn't because she freezes in fear, so a voice of a good woman actor would be nice for this game. (The point here is so the players could interact more dialogue to the AI) The more dialogue, the more charisma, and the more the woman will have courage like, when you're fighting a zombie, she would shout saying, "There's one at your back!" If a zombie is really at your back, until she becomes good at spotting enemies (Also it would be nice if she has some healing skills)

Objective two: [Rescue the damsel in distress] Your woman companion asked if you can take her to her house because there might be a clue where her parents have gone to, (which is a map) and so you take here there, but then inside the house was an ambush where bandits have camped. You were out cold lying on the floor and they kidnapped your companion. (This would make players feel enraged of losing someone) Searching inside the house you found her parent's map and a clue where the bandits camp are located.)

Objective Three: [Good girl's gone bad] (Flirting dialogue unlocked because of charisma) After rescuing the woman and killing the bandit leader, you decided to teach your companion how to use guns. This would be useful getting inside bunkers if the bunkers would really be hard as you say it would be. But even if the woman can shoot, the voice of fear is still there, like Lara croft, right? (Able to still fight while being afraid.)

Objective Four: [Changing the world one step at a time] This is where other missions and objectives would be placed. (Lots of flirting and soon the ability to make love)

End of game: You found the sanctuary, the gate opened and her parents was there.

(That's most guy's fantasy right there.) That's why a lot loved Far-cry 5 yet were quite disappointed cause that's what's missing. (see mass effect 2 rating)

Last edited:

STAAALIN

it will be really nice to have that guy that speaks on the radio and talks about new stuff happening and the weather to give you a quest that he asks you to repair a radio station or clear out a radio station so he could stay there would be really nice i dont want to give too much detail i want to see what you guys do

STAAALIN

When this game launches, a lot of players would be in solo mode, right? So what do we solo players need is an Ai companion, specifically a woman. This would be better, maybe, after 2-3 hours of playing other objectives.(some players would get bored) so this objective would come up.

i would pay a 100 bucks and not only me probably a lot of people too if there is a lot of in depth missions like that daaaaaaaaaamn thats such a good idea but it would be veery hard for them with the budget they are working with

GloriousBanana

Yeah, I know, right? But if we look at the big picture, you know, it would cost them much, but deym, I'm pretty sure, not only a lot would play this game, but they would play it till the end cause the thrill of being w/ a woman in a survival horror game is priceless.

zombr1an

Quest: Kill the nearby *insert dangerous animal here* threatening other survivors.

It's Alberta and we know that bears, cougars etc. always end up making their way into our towns, scaring and sometimes even attacking civilians. A lot of times they need to be put down for our safety unfortunately. It would be no different in a post apocalyptic world I feel. The reward wouldn't have to be HUGE, but maybe something to do with hunting. Plus you would get any crafting resources from the animal itself.

Edit: Regarding rewards They could be hunting rewards, or they could also be additional crafting resources that relate to skinning/butchering animals.

Last edited:

ki11r0y

Description: Enter power plant to restore power to nearby gas station so you can refuel your vehicle.
-->Objective 1: "There are a lot of zombies surrounding the power plant and cannot enter while they are guarding the entrance. Must find a way to sneak past them"
***Objective 1 completion: locate some zombies that are alone, take them out, and spread their remains on your character

-->Objective 2: "using the zombie camouflage, I snuck past the zombie horde and am now in the power plan. I must find the primer switch and the control switch to turn the power back on"
***Objective 2 completion: located primer and control switch and activated power.

-->Objective 3: " with the power restored, I need to make my way back to the gas station to refuel my vehicle to get the hell out of here!"
***Objective 3 completion: return to your vehicle and refuel. Fight off zombie horde that attempts to disrupt the refueling process. Once refueled, vacate the premises.

LandThis

It would be interesting to have some form of scientists, researcher, or medic quest giver. Your goal would be to collect 10 blood bags of O- blood from dead or alive players as well as a hospital location. This would give players option to approach from a diplomatic way to collect blood from other living players, an aggressive way that would allow for KOS, and a neutral way where you simply have to focus on collecting blood from looting.

NoirDsir81

I thought it might be good to take inspiration from Escape From Tarkov by doing quests for the benefit of PNJ (vendors) in order to obtain advantages such as a greater variety of loots or more attractive prices. this would give motivation to do the quests.

Maeharaprojekt

I thought it might be good to take inspiration from Escape From Tarkov by doing quests for the benefit of PNJ (vendors) in order to obtain advantages such as a greater variety of loots or more attractive prices. this would give motivation to do the quests.
Would that even work, given the setting of Dead Matter? Escape from Tarkov's questing system is so specific and sortof-kinda assumes that somewhere in the world, there are functioning governments or even zaibatsus. By the time the devs get done transforming EFT's quests to something that makes sense for Dead Matter, it might be dang-near unrecognizable.

Are we using bottle caps for money? Furs? Bearberry preserves? Blueberry jam? Is there anything resembling commerce, are we reduced to bartering, or do we get new stuff by murdering our neighbors because "reasons?"

If we are bandits, who are these murder-merchants that we are selling our stolen goods to? Why are they even here, in Alberta? Do they have a way out that doesn't involve death or slavery? Do they, and this is important, have soap?!

Because, sure as bear turds, by the time I am done pulling out gold fillings, chopping jaws and leg bones to get titanium implants, and nicking glass eyes, I am going to NEED a good scrubbing with real soap so I don't make myself sick.

Is anyone manufacturing brand-new Sako TRG-42's or Kalashnikov AK-103's? New-build ammo, assembled by precision production machinery, would be great! How are they even exporting their stuff to North America and can they PLEASE drop off even basic medical supplies for 10,000 people, enough for 10 years per person? I have 1000 jars of cranberry sauce, 100 kilos of dried salmon, 5 metric tons of furs, some river-tumbled ammolite that I stole from sick children, a dozen prosthetic legs, 96 gold fillings, 32 kilos of titanium surgical implants, and 12 glass eyes. You'll find me spawn-camping a hospital nursery in Calgary.

Last edited:

SpookyCitrus

Kill X quest: "Going full Wick"
Have it as an NPC survivor or trader given quest where you are tasked with getting "x"(i.e. 5) amount of player kills with a pistol.
(Alternate) Still an NPC survivor or trader given quest. Get 1-2 player kills with each pistol available in game.
I feel as though it would be pretty challenging, could have the reward for completing the quest be a fully tricked out Eder 17 depending on it's rarity, or even just in game currency or XP for the traders. Possibly get an achievement if the devs plan on doing them. Only complete-able once or per character/ wipe.

ZeLL

I think a early starter quest where you have to help fortify or build a shelter would be a great introduction to questing. In a sense, teaching us the mechanics of building and what the necessary materials are for constructing. I'm hyped for so many aspects of this game. That being said base building and strategic/creative trap setting are things I crave.:p

Comrade Ivan

Airdrop race
Airdrop is supposed to be thrown at (location) in (time). After that time: A) Supplies are stolen and taken to (bandit camp) B) Supplies are periodically stolen until nothing Is left. In that case, quest is failed.

Arena
Bandits built an arena and offer you supplies, if you participate in it and survive. This might branch out into several difficulty tiers: 1. You fight with own weapons and equipment. Small loot. 2. You are given random weapon to fight with. Good loot. 3. You are given nothing. Best loot.

Convoy theft
A convoy will go from (point A) to (point B) and it contains (gasoline, water, guns, ammo, etc.). Set up an ambush, steal truck with resources and deliver them back to camp.

Water sabotage
Bandits are getting water from lake nearby to their camp. Go there and poison it. (Or maybe throw a dead body in it, just to spice things up)

Info retrieval
One of our scouts did not answer a couple of days/hours. He's most likely dead. Go find him and retrieve information he gathered.

Prisoner van
One of bandit's prisoner vans will be passing nearby. Ambush it and free the prisoners.

Execution
One of our best men will be executed in (time, if wanted). Try preventing it by any means. (This might make player do a choice, go right into camp and free him immediately, or wait and strike just before the execution?)

Gun theft
Bandits got their hands on M60 and want to mount it on a vehicle, go to their car workshop and steal the M60. (The gun would be: A) quest item you can't use B) actual gun, but you will have locked inv slots until the quest is finished. This will prevent players from using it on base raids, and in case of B an advantage if someone interrupted his quest) (In case of failed quest, the player may see the vehicle with M60 roam the Alberta, being constant threat)

Vehicle retrieval
After the outbreak I didn't have time to refuel my car, so I left it (location). I tried to get it back, but someone stole its (car part, like wheel, engine, battery, etc.). Could you get it back for me?

Propaganda
We want survivors to know about our camp/safe zone/organization. Can you grab these posters and stick them on walls somewhere in (location)?

Chopper
Our scouts found helicopter at (location), but nobody knows how to fly that thing. Some survivors are already learning about it, but that'll take some time and someone else might steal it. Could you get it for us? (Player might see the heli flying, over some time, from one safe zone to another)

Cure
This quest requires laboratory

Our scientist(s) are working on a cure, but they need more information on that virus. Could you go back, where it all began, and find some info?

Raid - defence
Our scouts spotted some bandits heading our way. Help us defend this camp! (In case of victory, bandit camp will be weakened, in the other case, bandits will take over the safezone and remain there until player accepts attack quest from different camp)

Raid - offence
We will attack (bandit camp) and we might appreciate your help.

I have more ideas, but for now, I think this list is enough. Thanks for your time.

6H0ST

Randomized rescue quests like from dying light. You're walking around through a town and you hear an NPC calling out "Help! Help! They have me pinned down"

Or something along that lines.

Here is what the event could include:
A survivor that is surrounded by zombies on top of a vehicle, inside a building, or so forth. You rescue them by successfully eliminating all the zombies and they drop some randomized loot for you in a tier based on the difficulty of the event which is also randomized.

Another event variant:
There is a survivor that is in a firefight or entanglement with hostile humans such as bandits. You can either intervene and help the survivor, or help the bandits. Either way you will receive loot from the bandit leader or the survivor. (You'll get better loot from the bandits but have some sort of moral consequence.

Onmgul god-sot

You have to enter a barricaded house in the woods and it is an injured person (joey) he gives you a Quest get him first aid kit and a gun and a car filled up with gas good then you have to find his friend his infected friend (Allen) and put him down after that he gives a reward is a car repair box

AstroPolski

Mission name : "A *grave* mistake" (wink)

Player gets a quest from a bandit dude who's in a bandit clan to go dig up a grave of this supposed rich dude who was rumored to be buried with a small treasure of diamonds and such as cash is useless in apocalypse.

Due to outbreak and loads of deaths graveyards were overpopulated with many bodies buried together in pits and sharing graves, many body bags and empty dug out graves scattered all over. The mission is set on a full moon with a heavy thunderstorm and rain pouring down.

Player has to find the right tombstone and while digging a loud crack of lighting causes a subtle stir in the surrounding soil - perhaps not all the buried were fully dead - or i should say - undead. As the player is digging you can see in his blurred field of view the soil being moved and fingers slowly rising to the surface as moaning grows louder. Player has a choice of running away to avoid the coming horde and abandoning mission or staying to quickly finish off the dig and getting the loot - but will have to fight off many zombies. (what do yall think?)

Top Bottom