Third Person or First Person

Zom2D2

Backer
I personally would love to have both available as an option. I don't see why you would only want one or the other especially if you are playing the single player mode or on lan / private server with a few personal friends. That just feels like limiting your options for no reason. Just keep the official servers legit first person only for the hardcore pvp crowd and allow a toggle for Single player and private servers. Best of both worlds IMO.
They've gone over their reasons a few times. It's a pain for all the camera work and such, among other things.

the point of the game is for it to be as realistic as possible adding 3rd person in any aspect changes that
I'm pretty sure that they've said that the point is not this, though.

DeepInTeddy

Won't there just be a mod made for third-person or is that not possible I don't know much about modding just the game is going to allow it?

ConQu3st

Glad they’re sticking with First Person. The last thing we need is 3rd Person wall peekers/ambushers :LOL:
I would like to see a picture of your current avatar in the inventory section so you can see what you are wearing and carrying.

Even if a mod unlocks TPP, it would be on a community/private server run by other players. Don't hold your hopes out for a TPP mod on QI Software's own closed-alpha servers.

B-A-N-G

OK I understand why people like to see their character animations and gear (Arthur Morgan in RDR2 - I was almost always in 3rd-person).

But in a game where you're sneaking through a house and a zombie slashes their claws across your back, and you jump out of your chair...isn't that the reason you play this kind of game? Why would you want some kind of hovering drone view where you see the zombie before they strike?

If a game can induce genuine fear, it's tapping into the strongest of human emotions. Seeing the fear before it becomes scary is the antithesis of the genre.

Zom2D2

Backer
OK I understand why people like to see their character animations and gear (Arthur Morgan in RDR2 - I was almost always in 3rd-person).

But in a game where you're sneaking through a house and a zombie slashes their claws across your back, and you jump out of your chair...isn't that the reason you play this kind of game? Why would you want some kind of hovering drone view where you see the zombie before they strike?

If a game can induce genuine fear, it's tapping into the strongest of human emotions. Seeing the fear before it becomes scary is the antithesis of the genre.
I don't think this is a horror game, per se, so I doubt there will be any "genuine fear".
If this were a horror game, sure, I'd expect it...but even then, there were plenty of jump scares with Dead Space, or tense moments. The zombie can still be off camera and attack you from behind.

If you're looking for a game that will scare you, then I seriously doubt this is the one.

B-A-N-G

I don't think this is a horror game, per se, so I doubt there will be any "genuine fear".
If this were a horror game, sure, I'd expect it...but even then, there were plenty of jump scares with Dead Space, or tense moments. The zombie can still be off camera and attack you from behind.

If you're looking for a game that will scare you, then I seriously doubt this is the one.
A game doesn't need to be a horror game to induce genuine fear. You can play a Squad 1-life event and it's you and one enemy left on the map and you're pushing for the objective while they're hunting you. You sneak and crawl and sneak some more, come around a corner and suddenly a round slams into the wall by your head. That surprise and fear of being in the sights of someone you cannot see is more genuine, the more immersive the scenario.

With the advances of Unreal Engine and GPUs, it would be disappointing if a game where you're sneaking around at night gathering things for immersive survival doesn't provide moments of fear. The only things that scare the sh*t out of me IRL are snakes (been bitten badly by something innocuous looking - it is terrible) and being outside on the edge of very tall buildings (was dangled by my ankles over a massive dam wall by a stupid relative when I was 3). Oh, I should add that having shots fired in your general direction is pretty scary. I cannot imagine what being under accurate gunfire is like.

But I still want to leave room for any fear that super immersive game design can offer. Having ESP reduces that immersion, IMO.

Zom2D2

Backer
I'm good either way -- like I said before, the only reason I'd want third person is to see what my guy looks like and because some friends get motion sick.
I've played plenty of games, including horror games, where third person was the perspective and things made me jump. Not because I was immersed into the game, but because I wasn't expecting an attack out of nowhere. Third person does not equal ESP or lack plenty of opportunities to be surprised.

Those things you mentioned -- squad 1-life event, crawling, sneaking, etc, all of those things can also happen in a third person view. The tension can still run high in that situation, they are not first person specific. Now, if you're talking about a view like Diablo, then sure, it's pretty obvious what's coming/going/round the corner. I don't think anyone is advocating for a 3/4 top down perspective.

Either way, I agree that there will be high tensions, there will be moments of nail biting, there will be plenty of scenarios where you will be cautious.
I don't think all that counts as "genuine fear". At least, not to me. Genuine fear would be getting dangled off of a dam by your ankles. This is a video game. There might be some moments that I jump, but the point of the game isn't to scare people...or at least it doesn't seem to be, to me.

It doesn't matter! We all play different, we all have different experiences, and in the end, they're not going to go third person officially for plenty of reasons stated. As long as we all have fun. :D

Nevakonaza

Backer
i like both First person & Third person ,However i think they should be separate server options.

Reason i say this is because for players who only like FPS it gives someone whos in Third person an advantage if they're hiding around a corner in third person mode due to the camera angle so they'll be able to look around the corner without been seen..at least if the server option is there to only join that particular view mode nobody has an advantage over another.

Top Bottom