What I am worried about, is X feature in the game or planned to be added?

Flukey

I'm hoping this can be the replacement we need for Project Zomboid or an alternative to the 2d/top-down game. I loved PZ because of the in-depth zombie simulation. You fire a gun, you're basically signing your own death wish. If you don't get away in time, you'll easily be surrounded by a good portion of the zombie population in whatever area you are in. You will not have enough ammo to kill 500 or 1000+ of them if you get trapped in your safe house or the building you were looting while on a scavenging run after you shot your gun, or made a loud noise.

I've been killed multiple times when I was clearing a house or neighbourhood, either by a zombie I haven't seen behind a closed door, or I was caught with my guard down and one bit me from behind. And that was it, even if I managed to kill that one zombie - I was bitten, and I would turn into one of them if I didn't kill my self. One of those times was when I survived a full year. After I survived the winter, I ending up dying because I let me guard down. I thought I was invincible or just extremely lucky.

I took more risks. I thought the zombies were getting weak since they decompose and weaken after a long duration of time, but that doesn't matter when you set off a car alarm in the middle of an infested city and get trapped inside a house that had no secondary exits. And when you consider the fact you have been surviving for a year, the zombie population would multiply. A town that once had maybe 1000 or 2000 infected could easily surpass 4000. And in the city, I died in (West-point for those who know the game) I remember seeing zombie population surpass 10k when I was messing around on sandbox not taking the game seriously.

I remember one of the times I lost my safehouse because it got over-run by infected after a group of armed raider NPCs attacked me. There were around 5 of them, shot them dead quickly with my modified AR-15. But that also slowly brought in the zombies from the neighbourhood/town, tried to defend it but I was going to run out of ammo before I killed them all. Think of the scene from TWD S2 when Hershel's farm was being overrun, there was a shit-ton of them. The gunshots just brought in more and more, so I ran into the house and filled my bag with a few water bottles and canned food and booked it to my car and drove away. I usually play with extremely rare loot, and even after surviving for a long time - it was very hard to come across the ammo I had.

A few days later, drove back, few zombies were still roaming around, the large groups/hordes moved on...but my house was destroyed. Glass windows were broken, doors destroyed, barricades destroyed, the walls I built were destroyed including a wooden shed I made. It was best to just load up the car with everything I had and move to another location, rather than refortify already destroyed location. Who knows far those zombies really went, I wasn't going to take that risk.
----
I would go on more but I rather keep it short unless someone is interested in the game. The only downside about PZ, is that it's in the 2D/Top-down style, and I would love to play a game like PZ but in the first/third-person perspective.

I like roleplaying a lot (if you can't tell lmao), and I'm a huge zombie survival fan. I love the show - the walking dead, the games, etc. I own all of the good zombie games out there. None of them truly simulated what a zombie apocalypse would really be like other than zomboid and that's why I have more than 2000 hours in the game.

I know Dead Matter is still in alpha, I remember playing the mod for Crysis a very long time ago. I also noticed how the developers took some aspects of project zomboids trait system and incorporated it into their game. You can tell from the screenshot below and compare it to the one they have of their skill system. They took the occupation system, and trait system and basically changed it around. I like that, its a nice touch.

zomboidt.PNG

They do have aspects of zomboid, but what I am worried about is the customization of the game. In zomboid you can change everything about your game in sandbox mode. You can change when power/water goes out, date/time you spawn, you can change how the zombies behave, you can change how the fast the world degrades around you (overgrowing grass, trees, vines growing on houses/buildings over time....roads breaking apart and cracking, etc.)

You can change pretty much everything in that game.

But how would Dead Matter compare?

It has a lot to live up to, but it has a lot of potential too. It isn't limited by a old ancient engine like Zomboid, and Dead Matter is first-person, unlike zomboid.

I'm just worried about how Dead Matter will turn out. I have a lot of faith in the developers though, and if this flops - I doubt I would ever back a game like this again unless indiestone (zomboids dev) release a first-person version of their game in the next couple of decades. I hope I live long enough to see those days lmao.

Last edited:

Hacker0139

Backer
That's a good idea, but if you send it in the wrong place, you can go to suggestions & ideas and they will be happy to see it

Flukey

That's a good idea, but if you send it in the wrong place, you can go to suggestions & ideas and they will be happy to see it
Not really a suggestion thread, if it was I would've done a short point form post in the correction location lol...just wanted to explain what I was worried about, if dead matter had x feature or not, or if it was planned.

Hacker0139

Backer
It's just a suggestion. I'm glad to see your story. I'm very close to your idea. I also like playing PZ.

In fact, developers' plans are very orderly from now on, and they will support mod expansion in the future, which makes the game itself have great vitality
Not really a suggestion thread, if it was I would've done a short point form post...just wanted to explain what I was worried about, if dead matter had x feature or not, or if it was planned.

Flukey

It's just a suggestion. I'm glad to see your story. I'm very close to your idea. I also like playing PZ.

In fact, developers' plans are very orderly from now on, and they will support mod expansion in the future, which makes the game itself have great vitality
That's great to hear, but my main concern is the zombies. We already know how in-depth they are in PZ, and with the funding that the dead matter team has, it would be entirely possible to do something like PZ did but even better and it would be in first person. And modding support, you can practically change or add anything in zomboid, you just need to know how to do it. Who knows how intensive the mod support will be in DM though.

Its why I created this thread using zomboid as a template, its the only zombie survival game that took things seriously in a realistic style. I want to know the plans of DM, what they wish to archive and if it would be a reliable alternative to zomboid.

We don't know if the team is going to do full zombie style simulation like PZ, or world degradation over time. I want to actually fear the undead (unlike other survival games) or people and NPCs in the first-person perspective.

Last edited:

TAW_Ken

Backer
It maybe a feature in-game or it may not. I think a lot of the community has varying different views on what they want to see dependent on play style and background. The two thing everyone have to remember are:
1st - its a closed alpha so not all features are going to be implemented straightaway. Although, I have to say there are a lot more features included in dead matter than for example early access phase of Dayz standalone).
2nd - The devs have said and publicly support modding. So if there is enough support for something with someone with the right skills, anything is possible.

Top Bottom