Why every online survival game dies? or: How to keep survival game alive?

Bojan

I want to start a discussion with you on a, for me, a serious matter.

What do you think is the main reason most of the online survival games die?

We have DayZ that disappointed the large amount of community with broken promises and far behind schedule.

DayZ have:
-base building
-pve and pvp both balanced (vanilla)
-crafting
DayZ does not have:
-missions
-dynamic events
-new content

We have Miscreated that wanted to be american version of DayZ

Miscreated have:
-base building
-pve and pvp both/ but more focusing on pvp
-crafting
-dynamic weather effects and events.
Miscreated does not have:
-missions

I cannot talk much about SCUM since i just watched few videos and haven't really tried the game but there was a huge drop of player count before they added a new massive update but the main reason SCUM started to lose player count is because everyone felt like there is nothing much else to do.

Finally, i want to mention Rust, as maybe the most successful game out there and to my surprise, still pretty much alive game.

But why?

Rust is not even a hard core survival game. It is mostly focused on PVP.

Is it because they keep adding bunch of cool modular items in the game?

How to prevent losing players? Does it need to have missions? More dynamic events? More items?

What do you think?

Bourgmestre

Comming from Conan Exiles i would say that it's all about player interactivity.

(in order to ilustrate better i'l use your display since english isn't my native language and it's easier for me that way)

Conan Exile have:
-base building
-pve and pvp with a strong emphasis on lore & roleplay
-crafting & cooking
-dynamic weather effects and events.
-Dungeons
-Thrall system (breaking any human into slavery for better craft and defend yourself)

There is a TON of props for decoration and a good amound of armor along with dye, and what keep it alive during the worst time of the game (a year ago) were strong private community build around various rules & setting adjustment (not to mention mods) that minimise bug and gamebreaking issue that were in place.

I don't know for rust but i do think if you give player way to adjust their fit as mutch as possible throu server admin setting or mods (even tho i tend to stick with vanilla setting on most game) is a good key for longevity.

Also, some choke point that force people to cooperate on specific task, so beligerant have other things to do than killing sometimes^^

KANOVALOV

Hey gamers,

For me, this is what I personally think makes for a good zombie survival game:

-Looting, Scavenging. (The #1 thing that drives my interest is loot... The next house could have something epic, You'll never know until you look).
-Looting physical items is cool. Looting chests or cabinets is also cool, but I like looting stationary items just for that little attention to detail.
-The game must have all these:

• Single Player Mode
    • Playing by myself in my own world.
  • Co-Op Mode
    • Playing with my wife together in our own world.
  • Private Multiplayer Server
    • Playing with friends online.
  • Public and community Multiplayer PVE/PVP
    • Playing in a PVP server as risk vs reward.
-I love finding weapons but not crafting them. (I just don't think it's realistic for any random person to craft a functional weapon from wood and metal)
-I love dynamic weather and especially rain. (I once fell asleep in a game when it started to thunder and rain, it sounded so realistic)
-I love making or finding ammo, and to manually load the magazines with bullets.

• This is just a coolness factor. I find I cherish my ammo even more if I have to manually load every round into each magazine or clip.
  • With this being said, I'm not really a fan of just clicking "R" to top-off my current magazine. Yes, I play those games and it's fine for those high action shooters, but for a zombie survival game I just love the coolness factor of having to micromanage your magazines and rounds.
-Building a base, or take over a base to store loot and call a home.
-A ton of clothing choices: Gear, Armor, Vests, Backpacks, Helmets... Civilian clothing as well.
-The ability to play Male and Female characters, with unique cosmetics: Markings, scars, tattoos, piercings, height, weight...
-Both FPP & TPP
-Having just the right balance of weapons and ammo:

• Not to be starved of weapons and ammo.
  • Not to be overloaded with weapons and ammo.
  • Able to use your weapons in everyday combat without having to worry about rationing ammo like in Resident Evil 1.
  • Finding rare and exotic weapons in dangerous places.
-Having someone else to shoot at other than zombies, like NPC mercenaries. I feel another NPC element to a zombie game could keep you on your toes a lot more.
-Able to drive and acquire vehicles.
-To have weapon modifications: (Scopes, Lasers, Flash Lights, Grips)
-Survival games love us being able to eat and drink, but I don't like anything too crazy where you can't enjoy the game because you're searching for water every 10 minutes.
-The game must have unique houses/buildings... something to admire while you're looting. I dislike when all buildings look the same and every room looks the same.
-If you die, you at least have a change to get to your body and acquire your gear before it vanishes.

Anyway that's a few of my thoughts.
Have a good one!

lee505

Hey gamers,

For me, this is what I personally think makes for a good zombie survival game:

-Looting, Scavenging. (The #1 thing that drives my interest is loot... The next house could have something epic, You'll never know until you look).
-Looting physical items is cool. Looting chests or cabinets is also cool, but I like looting stationary items just for that little attention to detail.
-The game must have all these:

• Single Player Mode
  • Co-Op Mode
-I love finding weapons but not crafting them. (I just don't think it's realistic for any random person to craft a functional weapon from wood and metal)
-I love dynamic weather and especially rain. (I once fell asleep in a game when it started to thunder and rain, it sounded so realistic)
-I love making or finding ammo, and to manually load the magazines with bullets.

• This is just a coolness factor. I find I cherish my ammo even more if I have to manually load every round into each magazine or clip.
  • With this being said, I'm not really a fan of just clicking "R" to top-off my current magazine. Yes, I play those games and it's fine for those high action shooters, but for a zombie survival game I just love the coolness factor of having to micromanage your magazines and rounds.
-Building a base, or take over a base to store loot and call a home.
-A ton of clothing choices: Gear, Armor, Vests, Backpacks, Helmets... Civilian clothing as well.
-The ability to play Male and Female characters, with unique cosmetics: Markings, scars, tattoos, piercings, height, weight...
-Both FPP & TPP

• Not to be starved of weapons and ammo.
  • Able to use your weapons in everyday combat without having to worry about rationing ammo like in Resident Evil 1.
-Having someone else to shoot at other than zombies, like NPC mercenaries. I feel another NPC element to a zombie game could keep you on your toes a lot more.
-Able to drive and acquire vehicles.
-To have weapon modifications: (Scopes, Lasers, Flash Lights, Grips)
-Survival games love us being able to eat and drink, but I don't like anything too crazy where you can't enjoy the game because you're searching for water every 10 minutes.
-The game must have unique houses/buildings... something to admire while you're looting. I dislike when all buildings look the same and every room looks the same.
-If you die, you at least have a change to get to your body and acquire your gear before it vanishes.

Anyway that's a few of my thoughts.
Have a good one!
You're talking about my dream survival game, but at least it's not there now.

acrosome

• Single Player Mode
  • Co-Op Mode
The biggest use I have is co-op play with a group of friends of mine- now scattered all over the country- where the game becomes a sort of a conference call to catch up, but we also get to play a game.

Well, any moron can make a zip gun or a slamfire shotgun. But in general, yes, the Kyber Pass level of crafting assault rifles using scrap metal like in Fallout is probably unreasonable.

• Not to be starved of weapons and ammo

While I understand your intent, this isn't really helpful for game design. You're saying "Not too little of this, but not too much either." Well, what is too little or too much? Opinions will differ.

I do sort of agree with you here, but again we need a definition.

Most games compress time so that you end up having to eat and drink constantly, and it just becomes an onerous chore. But OTOH a survival game needs a thirst and hunger mechanic. They just need to tone it down a bit, from what I have seen in the past. At the very least maybe base it on the 3-3-3 rule? In an average environment (whatever that is) it takes 3 days to die of thirst if you drink no water, so let you go a whole day before the smallest thirst debuff starts. Likewise, according to the common wisdom it takes 3 weeks to starve to death without eating any food, so start getting debuffs at about one week. (The first 3 was 3 minutes to die from lack of oxygen.) Mind you, none of these rules of 3 are hard rules in real life (see the survival TV show Naked and Afraid). And various smaller drinks or snacks along the way prolong things.

But this system has obvious issues, too. I don't have a perfect solution, if only because (again) opinions will differ.

One thing I would recommend is not having the water purification animations take a long time. There should be water everywhere in Alberta- it isn't Arizona after all. The issue is purifying it, so just don't have that consume too much play time. Don't make the player indulge in button-clicking to open a pack, remove a water container from it, and drink it- just assume that water gets cross loaded and move on. One button; maybe let players configure in what order water containers get emptied, like pack first, canteen last, or whatever. And make it easy to carry a lot- appropriate containers should be laying around everywhere, after all. In my cupboard right now we must have a dozen Nalgene-style 1L water bottles of various provenance. They get handed out for free at trade conferences, fer Chrissakes. Every dumpster will have scores of water bottles and probably a bunch of those more durable and thicker-walled grocery store juice jugs. And so on.

But from what little we have seen of the nutrition mechanic it looks pretty damned detailed. I'm willing to see how it goes before I start making recommendations to tweak it.

Top Bottom