Will Dead Matter threaten Dayz?

Box of Demons

As an avid Dayz player and youtube content creator for Dayz. How will Dead Matter affect Dayz or indeed stand out?
Will this be a competition for Dayz or find a way to stand its head above the precipis. Interested in your thoughts.
-- Brains -

HavocHank

Community Representative
I mean to be honest there's no real way to tell. DayZ has cemented its name pretty well though, and Dead Matter isn't trying to be like DayZ in the first place. I expect each game to have their own separate playerbases.

Dark Drakan

Its likely people will continue to play both, I play DayZ quite often and plan to continue to play DayZ when Dead Matter launches. As Hank said both will have their own playerbases and many who own both will likely hop between the 2 games.

Jamais203

DayZ is a full PVP survival game... Which is boring
Dead Matter is more about Pve ( Hope so) !
Depends what do you prefer ? For my part... A Survival game should be more PVE than PVP !

Box of Demons

The failings for me with Dayz are playing on a server where there are groups of 5-10 players building large bases who then destroy any other players on the server (small 1-2 player groups) they also all camp around the NWAF and military areas meaning you have no chance.

Dark Drakan

DayZ is a full PVP survival game... Which is boring
Dead Matter is more about Pve ( Hope so) !
Depends what do you prefer ? For my part... A Survival game should be more PVE than PVP !
Depends what servers you play on I guess, in 70 hours ive never actually been killed by another player and everyone I have come across was friendly. Modded servers have custom rules and some have 'hordes' and large groups of infected that spawn in that tempt you to work together to survive too. I too prefer PvE over PvP and would much rather the focus be on surviving the zombies and the elements together than simply shooting other people all the time for fun.

The only reason most games end up being fully PvP is lack of any other end game goal and a need to team up. They need to make you think if shooting someone is worth the attention you might draw to yourself and the risk/reward getting the right balance.

The failings for me with Dayz are playing on a server where there are groups of 5-10 players building large bases who then destroy any other players on the server (small 1-2 player groups) they also all camp around the NWAF and military areas meaning you have no chance.
Ive always thought the map is big enough to avoid most areas like that and military bases are quite spread out for the most part. Would stretch them quite thin to cover all military areas at once.

Though in all my time playing I dont think ive ventured near the NWAF more than a handful of times on busy servers. If you head straight for the PvP 'hot zones' on busy servers with groups on them more often than not you will run into issues like that. Though if I was on a server where groups had taken a particular area either I would either try and find someone around to help take them or most importantly if it had got to a point where they had horded most things on the server and it simply wasnt fun I would switch to another server instead.

How have you been finding DayZ lately as a content creator? I think its important for newer survival games to take note of what gamers dont think works in other games so they dont repeat the same mistakes.

Last edited:

Vitalfruits

If it's real yeah cause we got nothing for the moment..
It supposed to release in march ... and they litterally get nothing to show !! Is that normal ??

To be far they'll probably have something to show like they have in the past, but is it enough? We've been told a showcase/ vlog in januari but nothing yet...that's why I wrote "If". Anyone that knows when it's coming?

kukumba

If it's real yeah cause we got nothing for the moment..
It supposed to release in march ... and they litterally get nothing to show !! Is that normal ??
in this state we should see a whole gameplay hoe stable the games is abd so on. They promise many things just hoping theyre good in time.
But for real the backers need to see a gameplay to know in what they invested.

Jamais203

Right now we just have clips...
they are wasting time by adding a ton of weapons...
In 2 months it's supposed to be the " EA release "... And on what I've seen on videos , it will be impossible for them to release at this date..
I hope the next devblog will be really revelant about what they have done.. and not just some gifs.
Cause backers (i'm backer from the first kickstarter, the one which failed :) ) will start to complain .. which is totally legit, and white knights will start to get out from the wood
I hope i'm a bad tongue but got some experience about that

Last edited:

Dark Drakan

All speculation so far and I’ve been seeing some really good work shared by the developers on Twitter but I would say it’s highly likely it won’t make the March window for the Closed Alpha. I would manage the expectations now before the roadmap update at the end of the month.

They have said multiple times they don’t want to make the same mistakes as other early access survival games and release too soon. I know a lot of the released footage is outdated now but personally I don’t believe they are at a stage yet where they would be happy to release it to the public to play test.

With the new change in the map dynamic and decent amount of placeholder animations still in place for the zombies (last I heard). I don’t want to speak for them but I would think based on previous statements they wouldn’t want a first impression being made on some aspects while they are still actively developing those parts rather than at a stage of fine tuning them.

Last edited:

Jamais203

They don’t want to make the same mistakes as other early access survival games and release too soon.
And they are doing .... give us a date for the release to push back again.. That's the same mistakes as others EA, instead of saying : " We don't know, will be ready when we feel it " I prefer getting this sentence than lies or beeing disappointed (which is the best way to start complaining about them)

Dark Drakan

And they are doing .... give us a date for the release to push back again.. That's the same mistakes as others EA, instead of saying : " We don't know, will be ready when we feel it " I prefer getting this sentence than lies or beeing disappointed (which is the best way to start complaining about them)
Personally I would rather it was pushed back if it’s not ready but we got a solid release of info and decent amount of new footage to show off the work that is going into it. You don’t get a second chance at a first impression and many games have been dead out of gate because they made a bad first impression.

Other titles have pushed out a build that isn’t really ready and taken more and more early access money between updates and frustrated players so much that they stop playing before 1.0 release.

I would prefer most systems to be in place and working and a game have a solid foundation with a decent gameplay loop that requires polish for the alpha versions. I want to have a good idea of how the whole game plays rather than it just being the tiniest of glimpses and most of that glimpse being unfinished too.

Attempting to add whole gameplay systems and features into a live game that is still being played by the public is a bit like trying to change a car tire while the car is still being driven.

With this release being closed alpha at least it will be a small test and they can close it and fix things ready for open alpha down the line. Then get most systems in place ready for the early access launch.

Last edited:

Jamais203

I definitly agreed. First impression is the most important thing.
But giving a date and pushing back evertimes... It gives us a bad impression even before the release !

Survive the Nights is the best example.. they pushed back for one year... but every months they were telling us " soon in your hand, next weeks etc.." the game was not even release that we already had a terrible impression about the game... and at the release of course the game was fucked up..

And it seems they are taking the same way (slowly but surely) ... So when you tell me they don't want to make the same mistakes... It starts very badly. Survive the Nights did exactly the same thing. Finding more and more excuses ( and not the best ones) "we want to polish the game etc..."

And when after 3 years they got nothing to show (with a 600k $ kickstarter).... it's legit that it starts to worry me. I know a game is long to dev... but we paid and it's ( I believe ) normal to get some results. And actually we got nothing.

And like I said I just hope that the next devblog will show something ! concrete things

Last edited:

Dark Drakan

I definitly agreed. First impression is the most important thing.
But giving a date and pushing back evertimes... It gives us a bad impression even before the release !

And it seems they are taking the same way... So when you tell me they don't want to make the same mistakes... It starts very badly. Survive the Nights did exactly the same thing. Finding more and more excuses ( and not the best ones)
So long as we get to see the progress and some new footage that would put a lot of people’s minds at ease. I think because we have seen a lot of the same footage for a long length of time and been speaking about the same things it feels like the date just keeps being moved and we are no closer to a real release.

Survive the Nights is the best example.. they pushed back for one year... but every months they were telling us " soon in your hand, next weeks etc.." the game was not even release that we already had a terrible impression about the game... and game was fucked up..
From what I remember about Survive the Nights they had a bit of a nightmare and the game was actually meant to be an unlisted pre-alpha not visible in Steam search but ended up available to everyone on Steam marketplace. They were not ready for this and their systems couldn’t handle that and they were review bombed and struggled to ever recover from that. It’s currently Mostly Positive with an overall Mixed 55% Review Score which will be hard to come back from.

Releasing earlier than they intended and getting those low reviews from people who weren’t aware of the state of the game before buying killed its momentum straight out of the gate. People have to remember that some of these developers haven’t worked on anything of this scale before and most are really small teams.

And when after 3 years they got nothing to show (with a 600k $ kickstarter).... it's legit that it starts to worry me. I know a game is long to dev... but we paid and it's ( I believe ) normal to get some results. And actually we got nothing.
More money doesn’t automatically = great finished game. You have to get a decent team together first and you can keep throwing money at a project but all money can do really is get them to hire more people to work on multiple things at once (which they have) & pay for more resources. I personally havent paid for anything yet as im waiting to see the game actually in action first and hear the impressions from others, I will likely wait until Steam Early Access before putting any money down.

The team is bigger now than it was when they started but everything being worked on takes time and then it all has to slot together as one cohesive system.

You may have a lot of individual systems that all work really well but when stitched together into the whole gameplay loop unforeseen issues can pop up causing delays. I wouldnt say we have got nothing as there is plenty of footage out there and lots of clips of things being worked on shared daily on Twitter and they are active in the Discord group.

Last edited:

HavocHank

Community Representative
i'm backer from the first kickstarter, the one which failed :)
There was only one Kickstarter, and it did not fail.
with a 600k $ kickstarter
~$450k USD is the total that's been raised, with $220k being from the Kickstarter.
" We don't know, will be ready when we feel it " I prefer getting this sentence than lies or beeing disappointed
Being able to say "It'll be out when it's out" would be great! But, and for understandable reasons, there are obligations to give estimates. This does not mean in any way that prior estimates have been dishonest or worked towards without sincere conviction. They were simply not reached. Making games is a complex and difficult to predict process. There's a reason why you usually never hear about or see a game from a published studio until it's already most of the way through it's development. Unfortunately, as a crowdfunded game being made from scratch, Qi does not have this luxury. I know that waiting and delays can be disappointing, I myself am a backer from the Kickstarter. But trust me when I say that the team is making the best decisions moving towards the release that they can. The next vlog will be coming soon, and it will be showing off some very nice content that I think a lot of people will be excited about.

Top Bottom